Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 132

Thread: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    I don't get that, i've always just clicked the download button on github and gotten the files, but I'm guessing that's the pre compiled version

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    Well finally there's one less thing. Got it uploaded nicely. Now just have to figure out using it/tinkering. So I'll ask two things: #1) how are you guys powering the wemos d1 mini when connected to the pixels for outside (are you just connecting the 5v power supply to it?), and what kind of protective casing or covering are you using? I also wanted to thank every single person who was patient, offered their two cents and help, and were willing to guide me in the right direction. Because I'm looking at a configured, accessible ESpixelstick web UI !!!! )))) And don't forget, all your advice will help countless people googling or trying to figure out how to make that jump for many years

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Folsom, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Well finally there's one less thing. Got it uploaded nicely. Now just have to figure out using it/tinkering. So I'll ask two things: #1) how are you guys powering the wemos d1 mini when connected to the pixels for outside (are you just connecting the 5v power supply to it?), and what kind of protective casing or covering are you using? I also wanted to thank every single person who was patient, offered their two cents and help, and were willing to guide me in the right direction. Because I'm looking at a configured, accessible ESpixelstick web UI !!!! )))) And don't forget, all your advice will help countless people googling or trying to figure out how to make that jump for many years
    5V to WeMos with data and ground to pixels. Power inject all pixels. See sketch in post #42 of this thread. Enclosure can be constructed out of 1 thin wall PVC.
    In Lights Therapy

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    I want to bring up a point that I haven't seen discussed. The ESP/Wemos operate at 3.3v and the outputs are also 3.3v. For reliable operation you need to use a LEVEL SHIFTER to translate the 3.3v output to 5v. The ESPixelStick uses a M74VHC1GT125DT1G noninverting buffer. The PixelPop uses a 2N7000 MOSFET transistor circuit. Most pixels seem to work fine with the 3.3v output. This is why a Null pixel will work. Some may not and will cause issues trying to track down why they don't work.

    The ArtStick mentioned earlier in this thread probably uses a 74HCT125 as a level shifter
    Last edited by Coaster; 10-03-2019 at 12:36 AM. Reason: mention 74HCT125

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I want to bring up a point that I haven't seen discussed. The ESP/Wemos operate at 3.3v and the outputs are also 3.3v. For reliable operation you need to use a LEVEL SHIFTER to translate the 3.3v output to 5v. The ESPixelStick uses a M74VHC1GT125DT1G noninverting buffer. The PixelPop uses a 2N7000 MOSFET transistor circuit. Most pixels seem to work fine with the 3.3v output. This is why a Null pixel will work. Some may not and will cause issues trying to track down why they don't work.

    The ArtStick mentioned earlier in this thread probably uses a 74HCT125 as a level shifter
    I don't know if it will come to fruition, but I believe a few people were looking into designing some carrier boards for the wemos d1 mini with things like the level shifter and other useful features all in one package.

    On a related note, as someone who came into this topic/area completely green this season, the power situation with the wemos d1 mini/esp seems to be really muddied for anyone who doesn't have an electronics or engineering background (or good old fashion experience). This thread has a lot of great advice and information, but for anybody researching this, googling the topic, you will find a lot of debate and contrary information regarding these units from various sites. Especially the Arduino and related forums where the application is quite broad vs our specific needs (light goes...light goes off ). There is apparently semi official statements by the manufacturer, and a possible poor translation on a data sheet about 3.3v vs 5v (or higher) and whether the wemos d1 mini officially claims that 5v is fine to run it without possibly damaging it and/or shortening it's lifespan significantly. Note: the debate isn't whether it will work or that it can be run with 5v, but that doing so is the equivalent of running a cpu at too high a temperature over a period of time (which is the equivalent of smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day ie: premature death). If someone reads this thread in the future, Follow the group sourced wisdom within!

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I don't know if it will come to fruition, but I believe a few people were looking into designing some carrier boards for the wemos d1 mini with things like the level shifter and other useful features all in one package.

    On a related note, as someone who came into this topic/area completely green this season, the power situation with the wemos d1 mini/esp seems to be really muddied for anyone who doesn't have an electronics or engineering background (or good old fashion experience). This thread has a lot of great advice and information, but for anybody researching this, googling the topic, you will find a lot of debate and contrary information regarding these units from various sites. Especially the Arduino and related forums where the application is quite broad vs our specific needs (light goes...light goes off ). There is apparently semi official statements by the manufacturer, and a possible poor translation on a data sheet about 3.3v vs 5v (or higher) and whether the wemos d1 mini officially claims that 5v is fine to run it without possibly damaging it and/or shortening it's lifespan significantly. Note: the debate isn't whether it will work or that it can be run with 5v, but that doing so is the equivalent of running a cpu at too high a temperature over a period of time (which is the equivalent of smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day ie: premature death). If someone reads this thread in the future, Follow the group sourced wisdom within!
    You have no choice but 5v on the D1 Mini . 5v and ground are input 3.3 v is output . end of controversy !
    Just remember not to apply 5v to any input .
    Last edited by angus40; 10-09-2019 at 01:59 AM.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hudson MA
    Posts
    3,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    I am unclear why people are uncomfortable putting 5V into the WeMos device. Unless you have a cheap knockoff. I looked at the schematic and the one I have at home and there is a 3.3v regulator on the board. You are not running the CPU or its I/O hot. Keep in mind the earlier warning: Don't let 5v touch the I/O pins. They wont last long.


    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Folsom, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    You have no choice but 5v on the D1 Mini . 5v and ground are input 3.3 v is output . end of controversy !
    Just remember not to apply 5v to any input .
    Angus, I know you said in in your first statement, but know the audience...the second statement needs a little help to be clear.
    ....Just remember not to apply 5v to any input, except point "5V"
    In Lights Therapy

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hudson MA
    Posts
    3,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    How about: Do NOT put anything other than 3.3V on any of the GPIO pins. Also, do not expect to get more than 3.3V out of a GPIO pin.


    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Folsom, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,924
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

    How about: Ok to apply +5V to point "5V", but Do NOT put anything other than 3.3V on any of the GPIO pins. Also, do not expect to get more than 3.3V out of a GPIO pin.
    In Lights Therapy

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •