Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

So I have 5 wemos d1 mini v3's on the way. How do I actually use them? Load the same firmware as the pixel stick would? Do I need another board or bread board to run it? Or can I literally just have the d1 be a controller?

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing else needed....except wiring.

WeMos.PNG
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    So I have 5 wemos d1 mini v3's on the way. How do I actually use them? Load the same firmware as the pixel stick would? Do I need another board or bread board to run it? Or can I literally just have the d1 be a controller?
    IMO, the output pins should get some form of protection. I wire a null pixel driver board to the output from the WeMos to level shift from the 3.3v WeMos output up to the 5v that the WS2811 spec calls for. This increases the range (distance) of the output and protects it from bad things that happen in the yard. Other than that, add power and go.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

For small boards like this, I can do it in a week. But, nothing for awhile as I'm in the process of moving to a new house.
    Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    I second that YES Out of curiosity, how long does it take from starting to design until you get a completed board generally? Not something i've ever done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    IMO, the output pins should get some form of protection. I wire a null pixel driver board to the output from the WeMos to level shift from the 3.3v WeMos output up to the 5v that the WS2811 spec calls for. This increases the range (distance) of the output and protects it from bad things that happen in the yard. Other than that, add power and go.
    I'm a little confused about how to configure it. I'm using vixen, and I assume I just set it up with like any other controller in there. But for example, I also use an e682 controller. In the past, there is the vixen setup, but then there is still the e682 configuration that I have to setup to map everything and set parameters for things like power and pixel type. Sorry if this is a captain obvious question, but it's new to me having never done a controller build or setup that did not have specific steps or instructions

Post Thanks / Like

Disregard what Martin posted....I think I understand what he said, but if you are keep your WeMos close to the first pixel, that will not be needed.

There are too many variables to instruct you on how to setup yours layout.

I have several ways I use mine. Here is one of them...….
    For my mega tree, setup - I add a e1.31-#1 1536 channel, say universe 12 (will be 12, 13 & 14), then a second e1.31-#2 1536 channels as Universe #15 (will be 15, 16 & 16) Patch the first 500 pixels to e1.31-#1 from 1-1500, then the second 500 pixels to e1.31-$2 also from #1-1500. Then set up a WeMos as universe 12 with start at #1 and 500 pixels - I set my ZigZag to 50 on both, then WeMos #2 as universe #15, start #1 for 500 pixels.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 09-20-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Disregard what Martin posted....I think I understand what he said, but if you are keep your WeMos close to the first pixel, that will not be needed.

I have several ways I use mine. Here is one of them...….
    For my mega tree, setup - I add a e1.31-#1 1536 channel, say universe 12 (will be 12, 13 & 14), then a second e1.31-#2 1536 channels as Universe #15 (will be 15, 16 & 16) Patch the first 500 pixels to e1.31-#1 from 1-1500, then the second 500 pixels to e1.31-$2 also from #1-1500. Then set up a WeMos as universe 12 with start at #1 and 500 pixels - I set my ZigZag to 50 on both, then WeMos #2 as universe #15, start #1 for 500 pixels.
    Does the firmware have config page? Like I can use vixen to tell it what universe is mapped to what pixels. Actually, I guess since the wemos is a single output, you don't really need to configure. Don't worry, once I get the first one going, it'll make sense. How many pixels ws2811 5v can the wemos d1 mini handle per board? Or more specifically, how many should I try to run on it before it can have problems ?

Post Thanks / Like

I done 800 pixel in test of a single WeMods output, however, it is said not to do more than 4 universe in your show - 690 Pixels.

Here is a ESPixelStick setup page - same as used on WeMos.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post

I have several ways I use mine. Here is one of them....
    Actually you may want to Regard what Martin posted ! A well rounded knowledge is great to have and level shifting is important to know . mrGrumpy can catch a fish for you and you can eat for a day . Folks like Martin in giving bits of solid advice may just teach you to fish so you can eat for a life time !
    The one important thing I have learned you can never have enough tools in your tool box .

The wemos is quite the robust mcu , but the EspixelStick and PixelPops etc do have components the wemos does not .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Actually you may want to Regard what Martin posted ! A well rounded knowledge is great to have and level shifting is important to know . mrGrumpy can catch a fish for you and you can eat for a day . Folks like Martin in giving bits of solid advice may just teach you to fish so you can eat for a life time !
    The one important thing I have learned you can never have enough tools in your tool box .

The wemos is quite the robust mcu , but the EspixelStick and PixelPops etc do have components the wemos does not .
    August40, you need to know the audience. . . Martin only spoke of a concept, offering no wiring info. Too much technical info can cause a/this user to never want to fish, now or in the future. For this user, he needs to get something working, then adjust for his installation. Plus, if he has issues with distance, RobG’s pixel extender is a much easy addition, and achieves the same or better results.

Martin usually has good advise, just not the right audience this time.
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 09-21-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast