Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixelpops/stick wifi module question (esp8266 esp-01)

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    Angus, I know you said in in your first statement, but know the audience...the second statement needs a little help to be clear.
    ....Just remember not to apply 5v to any input, except point "5V"
    Yeah ,I thought about it after . I will avoid in future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Yeah ,I thought about it after . I will avoid in future.
    Lol, don't worry about me. To clarify, my post wasn't about being confused regarding the power. I was letting people know that you will find surprisingly contradictory information about that topic on other sources on the net, and to disregard and follow the advice in this thread. So in this case, the "audience" is someone going forward looking into the topic

Post Thanks / Like

On the Wemos you actually can supply 3.3v on the 3.3v pin. Make sure you don't have 5v connected too. I have a different project that has a few 3.3v sensors and I didn't want to depend on the 3.3v regulator on the Wemos to supply sensor voltage. I have a 3.3v source that powers the Wemos and the different sensors. It's an outdoor solar powered weather station that also measures the temperature of my pool. Reports to Dweet.io and Thingspeak via wifi.

Post Thanks / Like

Two more things I wanted some feedback on with the wemos d1 minis:
    -what is a reasonable expectation as to how many pixels it can handle without some kind of performance issues or glitches? (assuming the router signal is close enough) with power Injection, a null pixel and fairly short lead wires between it and the first pixel

2) is there any considerations or issues when running multiple wemos d1s on the same show? I mean apart from network congestion if you already have too many devices?

I would probably only be running 4 of them with vixen

Post Thanks / Like

the WeMos has the same CPU as that used in the PixelSticks. You can run the pixel stick software on it without modification. That means it has the same limitations. I have seen people claim (I have not done it so... ) they have 800 pixels on a stick. Others have indicated they have 20 or more in their show.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I have done 800 pixels on the workbench. Ran them at 50% on a vixen sequence that just turned them all one color, then another color. Pulsed a few full strings of color and twinkled RGBW. 800 worked, but I think I would suggest the same as the ESPPixelStick. You can do more, but limiting to 680 pixels (4 universes) would be best. Also, I did 14 ESP's in 2017 and 18 in 2018. Pixel tree was 1000 pixels; using 2 ESP's @ 500 Pixels each.

The biggest problem I had was WiFi connectivity. Although I could test from my home network WiFi router, Wifi wasn't stable enough for a show. Even my in-garage show network WiFi didn't please me. I eventually went to a outdoor access point, and 99.9% of WiFi issues went away. The 0.1% were thing I noticed that others may or may not realize happened.

After show take down revealed another problem - water. Not ground fault (already fixed that) was water getting into my DIY 1" PVC cased. If I didn't glue it, it seems water got in. It seems a few ESP's were still working, even with the ESP tip 3/4" under water. FYI: I had some press fits that I couldn’t get apart, so I figured they would be watertight…thought wrong. Those leaked.

Although I'm going to try something different for this year’s Christmas show. (Testing another concept.) I will still use ESP’s on other holidays….like I have on this Halloween. Good chance I'll be back to ESP's Christmas 2020.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Its awful hard to beat these ESP-01 based controllers for the money !
    Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I have done 800 pixels on the workbench. Ran them at 50% on a vixen sequence that just turned them all one color, then another color. Pulsed a few full strings of color and twinkled RGBW. 800 worked, but I think I would suggest the same as the ESPPixelStick. You can do more, but limiting to 680 pixels (4 universes) would be best. Also, I did 14 ESP's in 2017 and 18 in 2018. Pixel tree was 1000 pixels; using 2 ESP's @ 500 Pixels each.

The biggest problem I had was WiFi connectivity. Although I could test from my home network WiFi router, Wifi wasn't stable enough for a show. Even my in-garage show network WiFi didn't please me. I eventually went to a outdoor access point, and 99.9% of WiFi issues went away. The 0.1% were thing I noticed that others may or may not realize happened.

After show take down revealed another problem - water. Not ground fault (already fixed that) was water getting into my DIY 1" PVC cased. If I didn't glue it, it seems water got in. It seems a few ESP's were still working, even with the ESP tip 3/4" under water. FYI: I had some press fits that I couldn’t get apart, so I figured they would be watertight…thought wrong. Those leaked.

Although I'm going to try something different for this year’s Christmas show. (Testing another concept.) I will still use ESP’s on other holidays….like I have on this Halloween. Good chance I'll be back to ESP's Christmas 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was thinking about just setting up a standalone router that's separate from my internet connected one closer to the front near the display, and just have the wemos running from it. I work in IT, so we often get routers for recycling after they upgrade that are at least N and work fine. Only down side would be that the router wouldn't be internet connected, but maybe that is a benefit as it's isolated and focused only on those connections.

Ultimately, I have the 3 or 4 d1 minis, but I have yet to decide where I want to use them within my show. Whatever is left over would be running via the e682

Post Thanks / Like

I only buy the ones from Addicore now. Had two bad batches from other vendors last year which caused me all kinds of frustration.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Good idea, plus they are USA local.

Quote Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
    I only buy the ones from Addicore now. Had two bad batches from other vendors last year which caused me all kinds of frustration.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast