Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPixelStick v3 Setup Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixelStick v3 Setup Help

Ok last 2017 I set one up with v2.0....Ok now I have a dedicated network, AP everything ready. I just programmed 1 with version 3 however, it is different from what I remember. So I could use some help. When programming I put everything in SSID, Password, ect. I wrote down the IP address and I can access the device. When I connect to the device with the IP address everything is blank. So I went to the Wireless setup in the ESPixelStick to set the IP address to what I want (easier to remember) and it is asking for a Hostname (what is this)? and do I want to enable AP Fallback?

Also in the device configuration would this be the correct configuration

Device ID: Upper Garage Outline
    Universe: 1 (All four of my ESPixelSticks will be on 1 correct?)
    Start Channel: 1 (the very first line I put onto Xlight)
    Universe Boundary: 510 (?? Trying to remember for a couple years ago)
    Enable Multicast (Click this to enable this)
    My show network is all by itself no internet access and no one can connect to it other than the Laptop I am using for the show only it doesn't use the internet. If I need to I connect it wirelessly to my "Home" network

Am I missing anything. I am planning on running 4 ESPixelSticks each with about 150 - 300 PixelBulbs on each one

Also if I am missing anything PLEASE feel free to tell me!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick v3 Setup Help

hostname really only applies if you're using DHCP. It's how you access the device if you don't know the IP address.
    AP fallback makes the stick act as an access point whenever it can't connect to the configured network. This gives you a back door into it to adjust the configuration when it can't connect to your network.

You can't determine universe and start channel values until you know what they need to be. They need to be set to match the channels corresponding to the lights you want to control. You can only fit 170 pixels into a universe, so they won't be all using universe 1 since you plan on having 150-300 pixels per device. So if you had 150 pixels on each one, then you might use universe 1, start 1, but your second one would probably be universe 1, channel 451. the 3rd would be universe 2, start channel 390. (assuming you're using 510 channel universes)

Post Thanks / Like

Having just done this (I'm new to pixels and ESPixelstick too, making a 2700 channel megatree), I found the setting of the universe not entirely intuitive.
    In the example below, with 300 pixels, you'd have 900 channels 300x3 rgb) and with a universe of 510, each ESPixelstick would span 2 universes 1-510 and 511-900). The first ESPixelstick would be configured as Universe 1 (and span into universe 2), so you'd configure the next ESPixelstick as Universe 3 (spanning with 300 pixels, 900 channels into universe 4), and next ESPixelstick would be configured as Universe 5... And so on. Good luck!
    Last edited by HalloweenAddict; 11-15-2019 at 11:09 PM.
    2748ch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenAddict View Post
    Having just done this (I'm new to pixels and ESPixelstick too, making a 2700 channel megatree), I found the setting of the universe not entirely intuitive.
    In the example below, with 300 pixels, you'd have 900 channels 300x3 rgb) and with a universe of 510, each ESPixelstick would span 2 universes 1-510 and 511-900). The first ESPixelstick would be configured as Universe 1 (and span into universe 2), so you'd configure the next ESPixelstick as Universe 3 (spanning with 300 pixels, 900 channels into universe 4), and next ESPixelstick would be configured as Universe 5... And so on. Good luck!
    Thank you for this information that this makes sense. Let me ask this, would I be better off to assign the ESPixelSticks after all the pixels we are going to use are in place in XLights so I know exactly the total number of channels each ESPixelStick will have on it?

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly should plan your props before trying to do a channel plan. Configuring controllers is something thatís done after you know what youíre controlling. Universes and channels are a means to carry data from the player to the controller. You canít know how thatís going to lay out until you know what youíre controlling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    You certainly should plan your props before trying to do a channel plan. Configuring controllers is something that’s done after you know what you’re controlling. Universes and channels are a means to carry data from the player to the controller. You can’t know how that’s going to lay out until you know what you’re controlling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for that information. I was trying to do things that I thought I could get done in short time periods. What I mean was I had about an hour or so and I knew I could program those fairly quickly but then realized the layout was different. Now that you guys have given me this information it seems I need to do things in a different order. However, thank you for the responses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenAddict View Post
    I was wondering if you (or anyone) could possibly provide a little help with the ESPixelStick. I have all my lights done, up and tested. However here is the problem I am having & I think it is in the configuration but not 100%. I split my house into 4 sections each with each section ranging from 176 as high as 283 lights on each section going to be ran by 4 ESPixelSticks.

On each section after they are done, I go to the Tools -> Test. From here I just select different test settings, checking power injection, and make sure all the lights are lighting up not flickering & working. Well here is the problem If I do a rotating color for example RGB Cycle and select say A-B-C-All (it doesn't matter really which effect) the problem is bulb 171 on each section only flashes off & on Blue, and the rest of the lights after this is a different color. For example if the first 170 are Green then bulb 171 is off, then all the lights after 171 are Red. This particular section has 283 bulbs. Also I haven't built any models for testing just running the Test Function from XLights Tools.

My ESPixelStick is set up in Xlights
    Unicast (checked)
    IP address of the device 192.168.1.31
    Starting universe # - 1
    # of universes - 2
    Universe Size - 510
    Description: Lower Porch
    Priority - 100
    Controller Type: ESPixelStick
    Use Auto Start Channels (Unchecked)
    FPP Proxy IP/Host (Blank)

When I go in the actual ESPixelStick with its IP Address 192.168.1.31 I have the exact same values put in as well as far as Universe size, number & Starting.

The only thing I can think of is the configuration is messed up am I close or is it a much bigger problem than that?
    Last edited by Byhova; 11-20-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Your universe boundary is off. Your sequence is set for 510, but the esp is 512, or vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Your universe boundary is off. Your sequence is set for 510, but the esp is 512, or vice versa.
    Jchuchla Thank you for the help It worked, but there is a problem that I am completely stumped on.
    On my original firmware v2 (Have only used this for testing purpose only). I changed the universe boundary to 512 in the ESPixelStick and then changed it to 512 in XLights, everything for that stick will light all the lights I hook it to, all 283

Fast forward to today. I have 4 brand new ESPixelSticks (I ordered from Amazon late last year) I just flashed with v3.0 everything completed successful, gave me an IP address and can access the ESPixelsticks with through the ip. Here are the problems I am having with all 4. When I log into the ESPixelStick through the IP address and make changes and click save I assume it does I set universe 1, starting channel 1, universe boundary 512 (Please note the universe 1 & starting channel 1 I am currently just trying to configure this one that will control the lights on the 1st universe & channel 1. When I go back into the ESPixelstick my home screen info is always blank and all the tabs are blank even when I fill them out and save and restart the device.

Now when I go into Xlights to Tools->Test (assuming it saved my information) when I test my lights it is only the first 170 the rest are blank and won’t turn on. I have it setup just like the stick that has firmware v2. So I can’t figure out why it only lights the first 170. I made sure to have the boundary at 512 inside the ESPixelStick, but it is almost like it is not saving the data changes when I make them inside the ESPixelStick IP address.

I don’t know if this info matter but trying to disclose all info. My ESP v3 are on my show network (nothing but a EdgeX router & nanostation m2 with the recommended setting from this forum. I flashed them while on the show network so they would obtain IP address from the show network.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the PUYA chip problem. Do your ESP modules have PUYA chips? If so, you need to search out the fix for the PUYA chip or replace the memory. The change to the code is pretty simple but it does involve doing your own programming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast