Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

Im waiting for Scott to get me a total price so i can get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott,

Let me first say I am a huge fan of open source and DIY builds. It is nice to see something like this gracing the pages of the forum again.

I tried checking out the BOM costs, but I get a 403 error from Digikey, what is the cost of the BOM?

Tony
    Tony
    Live since 2007
    Back after a break.
    Putting the Yule back into Yuletide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWarrant View Post
    Scott,

Let me first say I am a huge fan of open source and DIY builds. It is nice to see something like this gracing the pages of the forum again.

I tried checking out the BOM costs, but I get a 403 error from Digikey, what is the cost of the BOM?

Tony
    When I click i I get a total for the BOM of $129.34
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

The two major costs in the BOM are:
    1) PocketBeagle ($27)

2) Pixel connectors (~$42)

The pixel connectors you can get a LOT cheaper on ebay if you get a bunch. For example, for $48, you can get 150 of them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/150-pcs-Scr...w/143171473177
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

To save 5 bucks you can remove the adafruit real time clock board if you plan on not using it. Some of the headers can also be omitted if you don't need them. I also made two other BOM variants, in an attempt for a "cheaper" version. The "Minimal" BOM only has the the parts required for driving the 16 pixel outputs. I removed the serial hardware, IC sockets, and all the non-essential connectors. Last time I looked that BOM was about $100. The last BOM I call the "Power Inject" BOM. This BOM is intended for people who want to use the controller to output Pixel Data only and use fuse terminals / power injection for powering the pixels. I removed all the fuse terminals and switched the pixel outputs to a cheaper 2-Pin terminal for only data and GND. It does still include serial support and some of the other headers. This BOM I think was around $80 last time I looked. I made a spreadsheet(.ods file) in the Github with all three BOM variations and the digikey part numbers. The three sheets across the bottom are the three variations. I have never built these two BOM's so there are no assembly instructions. The Link is below.

https://github.com/computergeek1507/...m.ods?raw=true

Thanks,
    Last edited by scooter_seh; 09-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Scott H.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of distance are you getting out to first pixel with the 150 ohm resistors? And would it be safe to lower that to increase distance? Working on a bom and was wondering what to purchase.
    Looks like a great project. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

I have only tested it up to 20 feet and it worked fine. The resistors are intended to "protect" and filter the output data. If you use smaller resistors, you are just at more risk at blowing the SN74HCT245N driver chips if you short 12V to it. I have use 33 ohms resistors in the past with no issues, but I never go more than 20-30 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    What kind of distance are you getting out to first pixel with the 150 ohm resistors? And would it be safe to lower that to increase distance? Working on a bom and was wondering what to purchase.
    Looks like a great project. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Scott H.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my board today. Is there a way to plug the beagle directly into a wireless router?

Post Thanks / Like

You need a USB to Ethernet Adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dim bulb View Post
    Got my board today. Is there a way to plug the beagle directly into a wireless router?
    Scott H.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12