Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on what I was asking. I didn't mean solder just the male headers to both the pocketbeagle AND the mainboard, I was thinking about swapping the way it is done from the instructions and using the male headers on the board and the female headers on the PB, instead of the female headers on the board and male headers on the PB. Just wondering if there's a preference and why?
    I will be installing the male headers on the PB16 and the female headers on the PB just so it matches the F8-PBs I have. In case I need to swap PBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on what I was asking. I didn't mean solder just the male headers to both the pocketbeagle AND the mainboard, I was thinking about swapping the way it is done from the instructions and using the male headers on the board and the female headers on the PB, instead of the female headers on the board and male headers on the PB. Just wondering if there's a preference and why?
    I think Scott would have laid it out that way simply because all sockets are female on the board side. I don't think there are any benefits to doing it either way for the PB except for consistency.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed !
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    I think Scott would have laid it out that way simply because all sockets are female on the board side. I don't think there are any benefits to doing it either way for the PB except for consistency.

Post Thanks / Like

I did point this out to Scott a while ago. He likely needs new pictures. Next time one of you solder a board, if you could you snap a few pictures to send off to him maybe he can get the docs updated.

Basically, it is generally recommended to put the FEMALE headers onto the PocketBeagle as that matches some of the other boards out there. That includes the PocketBeagle based boards from me, but also some of the things like USB hubs and such available from Tindie and other boards. It's also a bit safer for the PB. If the PB is off the board and sitting on a desk plugged into the computer via USB, male pins on the bottom would short out a lot easier and damage things.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    In the instructions I do say put the headers on the PCB and the pins on the PB. I did this so I wouldn't stab myself with sharp pins while soldering all the other components. It has been pointed out to me, that this is opposite of all other BBB and PB caps. With my configuration it easier to short the pins on the PB when running the PB not attached to a cap and damaging it. I plan on updating the PDF to swap the header and pins, I just don't have any picture with the pins on the PCB side.
    Scott H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scooter_seh View Post
    In the instructions I do say put the headers on the PCB and the pins on the PB. I did this so I wouldn't stab myself with sharp pins while soldering all the other components. It has been pointed out to me, that this is opposite of all other BBB and PB caps. With my configuration it easier to short the pins on the PB when running the PB not attached to a cap and damaging it. I plan on updating the PDF to swap the header and pins, I just don't have any picture with the pins on the PCB side.
    For myself this is not an issue as I don't plan on using the PB for anything outside of the controller.
    I would just leave it in the controller when doing anything with the PB.
    But I do see the logic in having the female on the PB as pointed out by Dan if I were to use the PB for anything else.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, those explanations make a lot of sense. I've toyed with Arduinos and various PIs, but never the Beagles...

Post Thanks / Like

I updated the PDF manual with some Kicad 3d renders to illustrate the pin headers on the PCB.
    Scott H.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got my boards in yesterday. Just can't seem to upload an image of them!

Post Thanks / Like

Size of the scan usually gets me. The image size supported on the board is pretty small.
    Finally got my boards in yesterday. Just can't seem to upload an image of them!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast