Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

I hope I can explain my logic:

I do not try to post in here until I debug the PCB design myself. This is only true if I plan to debug the PCB. I debug then first to hopefully find mistakes(there are always a few) and prevent others from ordering "bad" PCB's. I liked the idea of a DIY Receiver and Diff Expansion so I ordered some PCB and components so I can build some myself.

I had to redo the Quad_Diff_Out and Multi_Expansion because the RJ45 pinout was incorrect. Pins 4,5,6 were in the wrong order to match the ethernet cable wiring standard and didn't match the Falcon PCB's either. The "Multi_Expansion" also had the outputs in the wrong order so it did not match the software. Existing PCB's with the old pinout will not work with new "Receiver_Out" PCB.

The PB_16_Expansion will work with a Diff Expansion on the first Expansion port, but there are some limitation with the current config EEPROM. When you change the drop-down to "Differential" FPP groups the outputs on the web GUI and allows you to select the receiver type. The "grouping" in the GUI doesn't change anything hardware wise so it doesn't really matter, it is just for looks. The only thing that doesn't work is you can't change the receiver type to Falcon's newer "smart receiver" mode. I don't really think this is a huge deal but I don't use them currently, but I can try to get a new EEPROM if needed.

If you didn't already order the PB_16_Expansion PCB, I just added a serial header that should work with the PB_16_E682_Serial PCB if you need serial. A small USB hub does work but the USB port cannot drive to much current. The PB16 is incompatible with power USB hubs, unless you remove the 500ma resettable fuse.

Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Supergumby View Post
    Questions:

Let's say I need 32 pixel ports, in groups of four, located all over the house and the yard. Can I just connect two Diff_Expansion boards to a PB16_Expansion, and run 8 CAT cables to 8 Receiver_Out boards? I notice that the BBB Strings section of the FPP has selections for Standard/Differential on the Expansion strings but not the first sixteen, does this prevent using differential boards on these outputs?

If I still need DMX for AC controllers on a PB16_expansion, can I just add a USB hub and connect my USB to DMX dongle?

Also looks like many other boards received makeovers, including 'copper pours'. I've seen this done for thermal integrity as well as ground plane for signal stability/isolation. Same here, or was this for a different reason?

Looks like I'm going to be busy with the soldering iron.

Thanks Scott!

/Don
    Scott H.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I purchase another controller Iíd like to know more about whatís going on here I have a e682 as seen in some earlier photos but you have a lot more attached to it . Then I seen pics of some other boards so forgive me but curious of what I could use , Iíve read this from start several times and still unsure of whatís does what.
    If I can expand on the e682 in some way Iíd be interested or is it an entirely new controller all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One of my original goals when I started working on my PB16 design was to build an "upgrade" PCB for my E682 controllers. You can order and build one of these upgrade PCB but compared to a "standalone" PB16 it has limited functionality. I did it as a proof of concept mostly. The full PB16 has 16 local outputs(like the E682) and an expansion header for 16 additional outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Before I purchase another controller Iíd like to know more about whatís going on here I have a e682 as seen in some earlier photos but you have a lot more attached to it . Then I seen pics of some other boards so forgive me but curious of what I could use , Iíve read this from start several times and still unsure of whatís does what.
    If I can expand on the e682 in some way Iíd be interested or is it an entirely new controller all together?

Scott H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scooter_seh View Post
    One of my original goals when I started working on my PB16 design was to build an "upgrade" PCB for my E682 controllers. You can order and build one of these upgrade PCB but compared to a "standalone" PB16 it has limited functionality. I did it as a proof of concept mostly. The full PB16 has 16 local outputs(like the E682) and an expansion header for 16 additional outputs.
    Thank you ,so basically end result is board like e682 but can expand a certain amount Sorry I must have misinterpreted the original and made it more complicated in my head . I think once I fill my 682 I may try one of these .

Post Thanks / Like

So the e682 upgrade board would turn my e682 into the the same basic controller as the PB16 except for the Expansion? Just trying to understand and decide on a direction.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

No, you need a small USB hub, The USB port has limited power so I only use a two port hub.
    ok thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    So the e682 upgrade board would turn my e682 into the the same basic controller as the PB16 except for the Expansion? Just trying to understand and decide on a direction.
    Yes and the serial output board is separate.
    Scott H.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789