Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP PB16 Pixel Controller

How did you connect up your Renards? How far away from the PB16?
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    Just wanted to give a shout out to Scott and his Boards. I ran my show with several of the PB16 boards and they ran Great!
    I had a PI3 as my Master and 2 Remotes. Remote 1 was PB16 Mini out to a Diff. Expansion board and then 2 Receiver out boards. One controlling some pixel floods and verticals near the house. The second controlled my Mega Tree. Three outputs for tree and one for Boscoyo 36' 270 pixel star. Tree and star all power injection. Tree, 24 strands of 74 or 12x148. Data at string 1, 5 and 9. Power on both ends of 148. Anyway, 592 pixels per port on tree and 270 on 1 port for star.
    Remote 2 was a full PB16 out in the yard for 5 Mini Trees and stars, 4 arches, mini grid for tune to sign and 2 more Pixel Floods. I used 8 outputs and no power injection. Ran most at 25%, floods about 50%.
    I ran my Renards, 3 RPLCC16's and a RPTR24, off remote 1, DMX.
    It all ran Great. Thanks again for sharing this project with us. I for one really like it.

Post Thanks / Like

The PB16 and The PB16 Mini have 2 RJ-45 Connectors with DMX/LOR/Renard Wiring Support with a DPDT switch that goes between DMX and Renard on DMX2, and DMX and LOR on DMX1. The PB16 also has a DMX Fused Terminal Blocks that is connected (I Think) to DMX 2 only.
    I put Renard DMX Firmware on my boards, and gave them start addresses. I used the Mini DMX2 out to my Renards. I made a special Cat5 wire that went from DMX to Renard going to my first RPLCC16 about 20' away, then regular Cat5 cables between the remaining Renards.
    PB16 DMX.png
    From GetHub page. I tried on both DMX and Renard (change switch positions) On DMX2 and it worked on Both (with special cable for each). The DMX2 has the (-) and (+) on opposite pins as DMX1, no biggie just make Cat5 cable accordingly.
    Hope this answers your questions, if not let me know and I'll try again.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

The PB16 and The PB16 Mini have 2 RJ-45 Connectors with DMX/LOR/Renard Wiring Support with a DPDT switch that goes between DMX and Renard on DMX2, and DMX and LOR on DMX1. The PB16 also has a DMX Fused Terminal Blocks that is connected (I Think) to DMX 2 only.
    I put Renard DMX Firmware on my boards, and gave them start addresses. I used the Mini DMX2 out to my Renards. I made a special Cat5 wire that went from DMX to Renard going to my first RPLCC16 about 20' away, then regular Cat5 cables between the remaining Renards.
    PB16 DMX.png
    From GetHub page. I tried on both DMX and Renard (change switch positions) On DMX2 and it worked on Both (with special cable for each). The DMX2 has the (-) and (+) on opposite pins as DMX1, no biggie just make Cat5 cable accordingly.
    Hope this answers your questions, if not let me know and I'll try again.
    I don't really know anything about Renard, but have several of the PB16 boards (and the various forms of it) built. I'd like to be able to control a few AC lights next year and was looking at the Renard. Are you saying that to be able to connect a Renard to the PB16, you MUST make a cable with 2 of the wires switched or is that only if you run it off of DMX2?
    Also, can I run a Renard relay board (such as this: https://renard-plus.com/ssr8.html) directly from the PB16 or do I still need a Renard controller?
    And when you say "I put Renard DMX Firmware on my boards", do you mean that you put Renard DMX firmware on your PB16 mini's???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I don't really know anything about Renard, but have several of the PB16 boards (and the various forms of it) built. I'd like to be able to control a few AC lights next year and was looking at the Renard. Are you saying that to be able to connect a Renard to the PB16, you MUST make a cable with 2 of the wires switched or is that only if you run it off of DMX2?
    Also, can I run a Renard relay board (such as this: https://renard-plus.com/ssr8.html) directly from the PB16 or do I still need a Renard controller?
    And when you say "I put Renard DMX Firmware on my boards", do you mean that you put Renard DMX firmware on your PB16 mini's???
    Maybe this will help. You have to make a special cable no matter what. You just have to know the pinout of the Output(PB16) and Receiver(Renard) to know how to make it.
    DMX to Renard.png
    This shows Data(+) pin 1 & Data(-) pin 2 and that is the way DMX1 is but DMX2 is Data(+) pin 2 & Data(-) pin1. (switch in DMX position) The RJ45 connector on the Left is the PB16 side and the connector on the Right is the Renard Board. PB16 DMX2 with the DPDT switch in the Renard position put Data(+) on pin5 & Data(-) on pin 4, matching the drawing. It is DMX either way. http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...rd_Data_Cables
    That SSR board would still need a controller to output to it, something like a RP32, Rp16 or a Renard 64 like it says in the description.
    http://www.renard-shop.com/relay-boa...lay-board.html
    Any Renard or RP Controller would work. The DMX Firmware is on the Renard Controller. Wayne J. has the Renard SS8, SS16, and SS24 that would work, with the DMX firmware on it. http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-Now-Available
    Last edited by rayhjr; 01-12-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will help. You have to make a special cable no matter what. You just have to know the pinout of the Output(PB16) and Receiver(Renard) to know how to make it.
    DMX to Renard.png
    This shows Data(+) pin 1 & Data(-) pin 2 and that is the way DMX1 is but DMX2 is Data(+) pin 2 & Data(-) pin1. (switch in DMX position) The RJ45 connector on the Left is the PB16 side and the connector on the Right is the Renard Board. PB16 DMX2 with the DPDT switch in the Renard position put Data(+) on pin5 & Data(-) on pin 4, matching the drawing. It is DMX either way. http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...rd_Data_Cables
    That SSR board would still need a controller to output to it, something like a RP32, Rp16 or a Renard 64 like it says in the description.
    Any Renard or RP Controller would work. The DMX Firmware is on the Renard Controller. Wayne J. has the Renard SS8, SS16, and SS24 that would work, with the DMX firmware on it. http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-Now-Available
    Yes, that helps. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

DMX to Renard.png
    There was a wiring mistake on the on the PB16 Mini. I just fixed it after you pointed it out. Both DMX RJ45 ports should have Data(+) as pin 1 & Data(-) as pin 2. On the "main" PB16 it was already wired correctly. I know DMX2 works with the Renard pinout as I use it with a Renard 8 controller flashed with the DMX firmware.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott H.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Scott & PB16 Experts -

Quick question on the circuit design - what is the EEPROM IC for - what data is flashed on to it, what does it enable the board to do?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woganaga View Post
    Hi Scott & PB16 Experts -

Quick question on the circuit design - what is the EEPROM IC for - what data is flashed on to it, what does it enable the board to do?

Thank you!
    There's a bin file that get's flashed to the EEPROM. I'm not sure the totality of what it does, but I believe it essentially stores settings about the board, so if you re-image the sd card, those settings will persist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woganaga View Post
    Bit of history: When the Beagles were first used to drive pixels, the pins that were associated with each port were hard coded into FPP. The original F4B, F16B, and RGBCape48 pinouts were compiled directly into FPP. This basically meant that anyone that was designing new capes that used a different pinout had to add a bunch of code into FPP, wait for an FPP release, etc... in order for the boards to work. In the 2.x timeframe, the pinouts were moved out of FPP and into json files. They were still part of FPP releases (in /opt/fpp/capes/bbb ) but it made it a lot easier to update things as well as to add new boards. In 2019, when I designed my new boards, I decided to add an eeprom to the boards and have the pinouts JSON stored on the eeprom. Thus, in the future, FPP doesn't need to know ahead of time what the pinout is and such. While doing this, I also allowed storing other things on the eeprom (like default string configs, default settings, etc...). Anyway, that's pretty much what is on the eeprom image. Just makes it possible for FPP to know what the cape is and configure itself appropriately without needed a bunch of changes in FPP for each board.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    Bit of history: When the Beagles were first used to drive pixels, the pins that were associated with each port were hard coded into FPP. The original F4B, F16B, and RGBCape48 pinouts were compiled directly into FPP. This basically meant that anyone that was designing new capes that used a different pinout had to add a bunch of code into FPP, wait for an FPP release, etc... in order for the boards to work. In the 2.x timeframe, the pinouts were moved out of FPP and into json files. They were still part of FPP releases (in /opt/fpp/capes/bbb ) but it made it a lot easier to update things as well as to add new boards. In 2019, when I designed my new boards, I decided to add an eeprom to the boards and have the pinouts JSON stored on the eeprom. Thus, in the future, FPP doesn't need to know ahead of time what the pinout is and such. While doing this, I also allowed storing other things on the eeprom (like default string configs, default settings, etc...). Anyway, that's pretty much what is on the eeprom image. Just makes it possible for FPP to know what the cape is and configure itself appropriately without needed a bunch of changes in FPP for each board.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast