Thread: Questions on creating elements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions on creating elements

I am trying to update some of my window frames this year, along with adding a few more for my 2nd floor windows. I was wondering if there is a set standard for doing window frames (such as starting on the lower left corner and going clockwise)? When I first started doing displays in 2015 I setup all of my elements based on minimizing my wire length to controllers so my existing frames are not all wired the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions on creating elements

Short answer: There is no standard or convention.

Long Answer:
    You are mixing how the elements are set up in the preview (by convention Pixel one is lower left) and how they are wired. The whole reason for patching is to make setting this up 'versatile' (note I did not say simpler). I have a controller located between two windows. One is wired clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Both are set up identically in the preview. One is patched "Forward" while the other was patched using "Reverse Elements".

Preview helps you define effects in a sane way.
    Patching helps you adjust for the silly things we do when setting up controllers and doing weird wiring.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I have similar configurations on my windows. Some clockwise, some counter clockwise, have them reversed etc to behave the way I need. I may try to keep the 2nd floor ones all the same for simplicity. I had also considered creating a model for the windows (they are all the same size) instead of using the line tools. What do you think of that option?

Post Thanks / Like

That works. For mine I drew one set and then copy/pasted three more. Then associated the strings.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q