Thread: More than 1000 pixels on element. I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong... Help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default More than 1000 pixels on element. I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong... Help?

I am brand new to the scene. I have a total of 1279 RGB pixels around the perimeter of my roof. These are spread across 8 controllers of various run lengths (longest is 195 pixels). I was planning on treating all of these as a single element within Vixen. When attempting to add more than 1000 pixels (3000 patch points), it limits me to the aforementioned values. I've found a post indicating that usually means I'm doing something wrong, which I am totally assuming to be the case. I was wondering what might be the best approach as far as mapping controllers to these elements would be? I was considering breaking them up into either 2 groups, or 4 groups, however it seems like it might be painful to map effects to multiple elements to make them appear seamless. For example, if I want to do a chase around the house, will I need to map effects on each segment that align end to end? Obviously if the effect is more complex, I would somehow need to match the "end" of the effect with the "start" of the new effect on the next string which seems cumbersome. Any advice would be wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More than 1000 pixels on element. I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong... Help?

First, stop thinking or talking about controllers when you are discussing elements in Vixen. It is a bad habit to get into. Lets talk about your element known as the perimeter of your roof. What you have is some interesting aspects like a peak on the left, a peak on the right, a run between peaks. Up left side, up right side etc. Make up your own names. Keep in mind that if you break it up this way then you can apply effects to each of the sub elements, making your possibilities for "ooo" and "Ah" much greater. Then create a set of groups kind of like this:

roof - top level group
    roof/Perimeter - nice place to apply overall perimeter effects
    roof/Perimeter/Left - Still no pixels here but now you can do contrasting left/right effects
    roof/Perimeter/Left/RunUp - some number of pixels go in this group
    roof/Perimeter/Left/Peak - some number of pixels go in this group
    roof/Perimeter/Right - Still no pixels here but now you can do contrasting left/right effects
    roof/Perimeter/Right/RunUp - some number of pixels go in this group
    roof/Perimeter/Right/Peak - some number of pixels go in this group

With this you can see that no single group actually has 1000 pixels in it. FYI: There is no 1000 pixel limit in Vixen but it should be rare that you actually need 1000 pixels in a group.

In the above example you may not have peaks but you still have areas that you could logically group. It is always good to do those groupings since it gives you more options when you apply effects.

So how do you map that mess to controllers? You have already mentioned that you are using controllers for parts of your perimeter. I assume you are using E1.31 based controllers. Just set up the controllers the same way you have created your hardware. Then patch the desired channels (parts of elements) to the universes that deliver data to your controllers.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 08-20-2019 at 07:06 AM.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More than 1000 pixels on element. I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong... Help?

Martin, thanks for the advice. The piece I was missing is that you can nest the groups. That should give me exactly what I need (structured similarly to your example below). Thanx again!

Post Thanks / Like

Can a single pixel be in more than one element? For example, I have a string of icicles, 3-4-5-3-4... the top row of pixels I would also use as the roof outline. Can I assign the same pixel to a roof outline element and the icicle string element?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derfnivrag View Post
    Can a single pixel be in more than one element? For example, I have a string of icicles, 3-4-5-3-4... the top row of pixels I would also use as the roof outline. Can I assign the same pixel to a roof outline element and the icicle string element?
    Yes, individual pixels can be in many different groups, you can even have groups of groups.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StickyWicket View Post
    Yes, individual pixels can be in many different groups, you can even have groups of groups.
    What Jon Said. However one thing to NOTE: You must COPY the pixel from one group to another. Creating a new pixel with the same name is still a NEW and unique entity in Vixen.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that is a big help. Now for patching. I have to make sure that pixel that is in multiple groups is patched to the same channels on the same controller, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derfnivrag View Post
    Thanks, that is a big help. Now for patching. I have to make sure that pixel that is in multiple groups is patched to the same channels on the same controller, right?
    As long as you’ve copied it, you are always seeing the same pixel no matter where it is. Once patched, it will be patched everywhere you see it.

Post Thanks / Like

You only patch it once (it does not matter from which group) and that is at the location in the string in which it is physically located.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! This makes things much easier. Oh, the possibilities!