Thread: Multi String Tool Settings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Multi String Tool Settings

Is there a way to set the number of pixels on each of the segments of an Element that was created with the Multi-String Tool? The tool I'm talking about is described in this video:

Attachment 41634The prop I have is a "Parapet", which means a lot of runs. 7 up, 2 across, 7 down, 2 across, 7 up, 2 across...
    88 pixels in all.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multi String Tool Settings

no there isn't. (not that I remember at least) This tool is designed to take the group of pixels selected and evenly distribute them over the total length of all of the line segments.

To do it the way you're want to do it, you should subgroup those pixel strings into sections and then use the regular line tool. say it's 5 up, 7 over, 5 down, 12 across. Create 4 groups inside the main string group, and then move the appropriate pixels into those subgroups. Then when using the line tool to draw each section, select the appropriate subgroup before drawing each section.

Now, here's where the fun with groupings come in. if you want to apply a chase across that string and have it follow the roofline (up, over, down, across) you'll want to make sure the order of the pixels in the group follow the order they're in the string. But if you want to apply upward or downward chases to only the vertical sections, you'd want the up and down groups to be in the same top to bottom order, rather than in string order. To accomplish both, you can have those same pixels in two different groupings, with one group being the opposite order from the other.

Post Thanks / Like

You CAN specify number of pixels per section with the Multi String Tool (Smart Object), you can't with the Multi Point String (Basic Drawing).

Create a multi string object then select it and click on the Linked Elements configure box

Capture2.JPG

In the String to link drop down you can select the string you want to modify (think section of string here)
    All of the odd strings are 7's all the even strings are 2's. You type in the correct number in the light count for string box and press set.

Capture3.JPG

This will require some linking to get your pixels linked to the correct section. You do this with the Linked Elements configuration screen as well.
    Select the appropriate string from the String to Link drop down.
    Select the correct pixels from the Available Elements list (You can use shift & ctrl while selecting to select multiple pixels)
    Drag the selected pixels from the Available Elements list to the Linked elements list.
    Repeat steps for each string in the String to link drop down.

Capture5.JPG
    You'll know if your elements are linked as they will show up in blue (as opposed to white)
    I only linked some of them in the picture above.

Using this method it doesn't matter if the pixels are in groups. You can add groups as Jon indicated above (I probably would) but you can leave them all in one group as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for these ideas.

I hadn't noticed the different multi point strings. (Multi-Point-String in Basic Drawing, and Multi-String in Smart Objects.)
    For my notes, what is the purpose of having both of them?

Someday it would be nice to do something like the attachment. Extremely easy to do things with multiple point strings, including making a "0" (zero) length segment to "jump over" an area that is physically just a wire in the string of lights.

West Parapet Settings.png

Until then, I'll write up and use your suggestions.
    Thanks again.
    Al
    Live, Laugh, Love.