Thread: Bars and Stars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bars and Stars

Quick question - Can the Bars Effect be put on the built in Stars Elements?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bars and Stars

Unless I am not understanding exactly what you’re asking, effects are not limited by elements. You can place an effect on any element/group. How that element or effect is configured will determine how it looks/works but nothing prevents you from placing an effect anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

When I put the bars effect on a star, it goes clear and nothing happens.
    In researching what may or may not be the problem, I must ask if it will even work on this element. Hence the question.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually when effects are blank (clear) it's because the settings of the effect don't match up with the settings of the element. i.e. if you have a white (led/incandescent) element and you tried to place a non white effect color on that element it will fail to render and you'll end up with a blank effect box.

If you can provide more detail on the setup you're using and the steps to produce the error we will be better able to track down the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Nick, if the effect is clear in the timeline, then it did not think it had anything useful to render. If it is solid gray, then some type of error occurred causing the render to fail. If the intensity is set to zero, or the only colors are black it can render as nothing as well.

The end game answer is yes it will work with the standard stars, so we need to figure out what your configuration is that might be causing it to act that way.

Post Thanks / Like

This happens to me when I put an effect on an element that cannot support the colors I am asking for. I had some monochromatic (white) stars and when I applied a multi color effect, the effect came up as transparent.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Jeff, and a bunch of digging, the light has finally come on.

The first "Truth" that needed to be found is simple: Vixen is "Low Level" CENTRIC. (I originally refered to it as "Pixel Centric", but have shown that was slightly askew.)

When adding an element (prop), you must make sure that you have allocated enough pixels/channels for that element.

Let me explain.

I have gotten used to choosing a prop, then applying it directly to the preview. Want a star, add a star. Want an arch, add an arch. The props have "default" settings, including the number of pixels that make up the prop. You can go into the settings for that prop, increase or decrease the number of pixels - but if you don't change anything the default is there and used. You work with the prop. You don't think about it.

So when I went to add the star to my Vixen preview, I right clicked on the Element area of the Preview Configuration, clicked on "Add", then assigned an Element Name in the popup. That Element showed up in the Elements list. With it highlighted, I reached up to "Smart Objects", chose the star, and drew it in the Preview window.

Note that after drawing the element, I did change to selection mode and selected the new star, changed the number of lights (Light Count) to match the number of my star, changed the String Type to Pixel, and the XY Rotation to 90 (to get the first pixel in the bottom center to match the wiring.) The fact of why only 40 pixels showed as "linked", no matter what size star I chose, is beyond my knowledge.

I did, however, save the preview and exited the preview setup. I then went into Setup Display for the purpose of adding color handling to the pixels of the star. I found something I did not expect. The star only had 1 patch point. When I added the RGB Pixel color handling, it increased to 3. It should have been 50 patch points before the color handling, and 150 after.

Jeff pointed me to the use of "Generic Numbered Group" when adding elements that do not have a setup routine (arch, star, etc.) Now I'm able to tell Vixen the name of the group (element), the number of pixels to be used (Item Count), and a Prefix for the pixels in this element.

So it turns out the reason that bars didn't show up was it needed more pixels to work. I now know that I have the responsibility for setting up all my elements, with proper quantities, to make things work.

For those of you who have been doing this a while, this is probably second nature. For those of us who have been using another sequencer, it is a "lights on" moment.

All functions, including bars, are now working.

Thanks

Edited 8/14/2019 due to findings of how Vixen really works.
    Last edited by algerdes; 08-14-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.