Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RGB Amplifier

Post Thanks / Like

Default RGB Amplifier

SO a couple years back i attempted to create a better RGB amp, one that was not disposable. All the ones on the market all use small surface mount parts, if something happens, its a pain to replace a part so your best to just throw it away. I want an AMP that can be repaired, and quit frankly will hold up better. Being on the shelf thanks to a bog boo boo, i have had time to go back to this and gain a little more understanding of how they work. I came up with a design, hoping the smarter people can look at it and fill in any blanks. The Optocouplers are a PC817. Using a 60v 10a mosfet. I am hoping someone can help me figure out the PCB as well so I can get some ordered for testing.Hoping to make this a slim design so it will fit into a PVC tube.

RGB Amp.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGB Amplifier

Not to burst your self challenge in creation and design but for the cost of theses and their great performance , you cannot beat them .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Not to burst your self challenge in creation and design but for the cost of theses and their great performance , you cannot beat them .
    Actually those things are crap and disposable. I have used them, they do not handle the current they claim to and if anything gets burned out, its a pain to fix. My board will use all through hole parts and will handle a 100 count string of lights.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a dozen of each 5v and 12 without issue since 2012

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would suggest is to look at the switching time on the opto and the output device. You use these to generate a PCM signal (not a relative voltage level) so the rate at which they switch becomes important. Look at the output on your controller, to determine how fast the signal needs to change.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to tell what your diagram is meant to represent, in particular what the yellow and black lines are supposed to represent, nor have you specified which MOSFETs that you intend to use (there are a number of different varieties). In any case, I think that the optocouplers that you've selected will be too slow. In addition, I think that additional components are needed to ensure that both the optos and the MOSFETs turn off (and turn off cleanly). Note, however, that I don't visit this board more often than once every few months or so. Wayne James, Martin Mueller (I think) and Macrosill can send me an email if you want more info about this topic.
    Last edited by P. Short; 08-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    It's hard to tell what your diagram is meant to represent, in particular what the yellow and black lines are supposed to represent, nor have you specified which MOSFETs that you intend to use (there are a number of different varieties). In any case, I think that the optocouplers that you've selected will be too slow. In addition, I think that additional components are needed to ensure that both the optos and the MOSFETs turn off (and turn off cleanly). Note, however, that I don't visit this board more often than once every few months or so. Wayne James, Martin Mueller (I think) and Macrosill can send me an email if you want more info about this topic.
    The black and yellow is the power and ground. .The upper right pin on the optocouplers should be grounded as well, but forgot to add that in. these are the Mosfets and these are the optocouplers.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm under the impression that you want this device to drive dumb RGB LED strings, similar to the parts in the section 'Dumb RGB Products' on the diyledexpress web storefront, but I don't know what you would be using as the signal source for 'this device'. In particular, are you sure that both ground and power are available from whatever is driving this device (or would be driving the LED string if this device is absent)? The reason that I ask is that when I designed a Renard controller for dumb RGB strings a number of years ago I only included +5V (or +12V, depending on what was required by the LED string) on the output connector and there wasn't any ground signal.

Never mind, I now think that there is a separate power supply that is independent of whatever would be used as the signal input.
    Last edited by P. Short; 08-13-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to see if I can get one of my mothballed XP systems up and running so that I can create a readable schematic of what I think the circuit should be.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    I'm under the impression that you want this device to drive dumb RGB LED strings, similar to the parts in the section 'Dumb RGB Products' on the diyledexpress web storefront, but I don't know what you would be using as the signal source for 'this device'. In particular, are you sure that both ground and power are available from whatever is driving this device (or would be driving the LED string if this device is absent)? The reason that I ask is that when I designed a Renard controller for dumb RGB strings a number of years ago I only included +5V (or +12V, depending on what was required by the LED string) on the output connector and there wasn't any ground signal.

Never mind, I now think that there is a separate power supply that is independent of whatever would be used as the signal input.
    No, this is an rgb amplifier, there is already a controller drvijng the lights, b ut this will amplify the signal so you can run more then 100 lights per controller. Unlike smart pixels that just need power injection, the dumb nodes signal operates off the ground wires. When you ask for a certain color, that wire gets a ground signal that ground signal signals the opto to turn on which in turn grounds out the mosfet that turns on the next string of lights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast