Thread: Two projectors synced in a simple setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two projectors synced in a simple setup?

I have an idea for a prop I've been noodling over, but I am not sure what direction to take it. Without giving too much away, I am going to have 2 projectors displaying onto two different screens that will be synced with some SSRs controlling the rest of the prop.

I am basically going to have one short video that plays and then repeats (a different video on each projector in sync). The plan is to have it look like the two screens are interacting with each other. I have a FPP i use on a matrix, but that kind of seems overkill here.

Is there a easier setup than an FPP that I am missing here? Or should I go the FPP route which will cost me a pair of pis, and maybe HDMI to VGA converters once I figure out what cheap used projectors to buy. (That just feels like overkill and maybe getting costly)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two projectors synced in a simple setup?

I cant think of a cheaper way to do it than using pis to directly drive the projector. You can probably forgo the VGA converters as Id expect most projectors youd find will at least have a DVI port

Post Thanks / Like

The new RPi 4 has dual video output. Just throwing that out there.
    (yet another Don) in pursuit of the perfect blinky.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the RPi drive just the projectors or will it be driving pixels as well? In short, what will you be asking the RPi to do, in total?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the conversations folks. There are no pixels. Maybe 16 SSRs (probably less) and two videos.

The videos are going to be playing at the same time. They will be in sync, but they are going to be less than a min probably, so timing isn't as tight as if it was a 30min show or something. I am going to fire off the relays at certain points during the playback.

A simple way to look at it is to kick off the 2 videos at the same time, and then have a recorded script of when the fire off the SSRs. When that is done, everything will repeat after a pause.

The videos are small, I was making that 480pxls tall x 320 wide. So about 4ft x 3ft ish. Since I am using so little of the actual resolution, I had kicked around trying to figure out if I could just have one video and split it across the two projects so they would be 100% in sync, but the cost of things goes up quickly, and I am doing the balance of making this not look like trash, yet keep it cheap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a very interesting project. I think you are on the right track, but others with more experience should be giving advice on this.
    Live, Laugh, Love.