Thread: Newbie: Got strip LEDs figured out, but should I switch to nodes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie: Got strip LEDs figured out, but should I switch to nodes?

The other day I started messing around with a 5M strip (150 leds) of WS2812b leds. So far I am able to create a sequence in xlights, send it to Falcon Player, then onto my PI 3 and get the results I want. This is my first display and I want to keep it simple. It will be a single strand of lights 80 feet long that covers the entire front of my house/attached garage.

I was going to get that aluminum channel stuff, mount it under my eves, and put the lights in there. But after reading this may not be the way to go. I want something that will last a long time, and be almost invisible. This picture I found on here is exactly would I would like.

Are these lights pretty much the same as the LED strips as far as programming and power? Any good guides on how to get started with them?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie: Got strip LEDs figured out, but should I switch to nodes?

“Nodes,” as we call them, are essentially identical to the strips in how they function and how they are sequenced. Depending on the kind of strip you have, three LEDs might comprise a single “pixel” (i.e. 3 RGB LEDs are controled by a single chip), while each “node” is a single pixel itself (1 RGB LED controlled by one chip). So when using software, you may have three times the number of lights to address when using nodes. But that, and ease of replacing nodes, are the main differences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    “Nodes,” as we call them, are essentially identical to the strips in how they function and how they are sequenced. Depending on the kind of strip you have, three LEDs might comprise a single “pixel” (i.e. 3 RGB LEDs are controled by a single chip), while each “node” is a single pixel itself (1 RGB LED controlled by one chip). So when using software, you may have three times the number of lights to address when using nodes. But that, and ease of replacing nodes, are the main differences.
    Thanks, I was assuming a "node" was more of an actual "light bulb" connected to 3 wires vs a surface mount LED on a strip.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the strips around my eaves for about 5-6 years now, and leave them up year round. I've only replaced them once when I switched from "Dumb" Strips to Pixel Strips. The way I mounted them are pretty much the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY at about the 7:07 mark I explain how I did mine.