Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Idea for Christmas lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beginner Idea for Christmas lights

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    A few things. When you say channel, I think you mean strings or outputs but mostly with pixels, we talk about pixel counts. So conjure up some pixel counts...

Once you break it down like that, you will have a much better understanding of the total picture. .
    Yeah, I think right now the spacing is what need to figure out to use as my multiplier for calculating total pixels and then I need to get some measurements. Is 2" pretty standard?

I'm thinking about following everyone's advice and doing the big boards last and working on the trim, windows etc first.

Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander14 View Post
    Wow! You have a big budget. If you at
    are comfortable with DIY stuff you will definitely be able to complete your plans for 5k. Probably a lot less.

B. Stick to your basic plan for the house. Do things once and do them right.

C. As for inspiration, go to xLights videos and watch the around the world projects.

k
    Yeah, I dont plan to buy it all at once. I'd like to piece it together. I heard that Ray Wu has sales like Summer sale? Is this true? I'm not opposed to getting things I need on a small discount if possible. I think the budge is total over the next couple years.

B. I totally agree. I'm sure I'll have more than I can handle once I get started. Keeping it simple for now. This year is just getting my feet wet.

C. The xlight videos, on youtube?

Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atairu View Post
    You can definitely cut some of the cost if you can go the route of ESP8266 but that will require you doing most of the controller build yourself. It is definitely not an impossible task but could be tedious. Besides, ESP8266 will run on WiFi thus cutting cost on network cables. If you want, I can send you a picture of my ESP8266 controller that I built inside a plastic box that I got from dollar store just to give you some ideas.
    Sure, send it to me if you don't mind. I'm all about doing this myself if possible. Later on I might say "screw it" and get pre-assembled stuff, but I don't like paying extra if I dont have to.

Thanks for all your help. You all rock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    I suggest doing it in phases. Maybe do the windows and outlines this year. Then do the arches and yard props next year. Then maybe the third year, add the matrix display panels.

The idea is to keep building, adding things as not only funds become available, but TIME. You won't believe how much time this hobby takes. The hardware part is pretty easy, and you can make a lot of progress quickly. It's the SEQUENCING that eats a hole in your available time.

If you plan your display in phases, you can reuse the sequences as you add props, adding new sequencing only for the new props. After 3 years, maybe you'll have 15 sequences from which to choose, and suddenly, you can put on quite a show.

But whatever you do, develop a budget and STICK TO IT. It's soooooooo easy to get in over your head in this hobby. Take your time.

Good luck. May the Schwartz be with you.
    I completely agree. From what everyone has been saying, this hobby has a lot of learning and problem solving so it's in my best interest to not jump straight into the deep end. I'll probably follow that time line.

Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like

XLights Videos on main website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12