Thread: pixel string length

Post Thanks / Like

Default pixel string length

It seems all the pixel strings are sold in groups of 50 or 100. One of my projects is a couple of arches. They do not require 50 pixels. Can I cut off where I need to then solder the unused part of string onto another one to create custom lengths or are they internally addressed someway? I see how to make random lengths in the controller software so that is not an issue. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pixel string length

Aloha,
    I'm still pretty new at this, but I'm 95% sure you can cut and resolder. I was planning on doing that at least from my 250 spool to make the lengths I need.

Post Thanks / Like

min string length is one pixel. max string length is infinite. anything in between is fair game. there are other things that limit you. about 600 pixels in a string is the limit for a 25ms refresh rate. most controllers will limit you to about 1000 pixels on a port. some controllers more others less. you need to inject power which places a practical limit on your wallet.

contrary to advertising, the pixels are NOT addressable. the data a pixel gets is determined by its position in the string. cut one out and the next one moves up in line.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

And if you don’t want to cut and resolder, a couple vendors make custom length strands with connectors attached already. Custom length is the way to go if you have lots of props to build, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure that was the case.