Thread: Controlling relays for power isolation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Controlling relays for power isolation

Hi all,

Iíve been searching for a post I read some time ago regarding control of some relay outputs for powering down non essential parts of the system once your show has finished - but I canít find it anywhere now.

In a nutshell my master control box has power distribution of all my other control boxes spread around the garden, and I want to ad some relay/contactors to shut off power to the non essential boxes once the show has finished.

The question I have is regarding best control method - two clear options are a pi-cap relay board to actuate the external relays via GPIO or an external DMX controlled relay board.

I have a falcon f16 controller so dmx output is no issue, and show is running on FPP so equally some sort of pi solution possible too. What I havenít worked out yet is how to maintain the output during the whole show - say dmx relays 1 & 2 need to stay closed for the whole showtime period, is it possible to configure your startup schedule to turn those on, and have it maintain that dmx output until the shutdown schedule turns them off again?

Apologies if this is going over old ground as Iím sure Iíve read somewhere quite a detailed discussion on the matter but Iíve searched extensively and now canít find it!

Cheers, Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Controlling relays for power isolation

Have a look at the FPP script repository. There are existing scripts that may fit your needs, e.g StaticOn and StaticOff scripts or GPIOon/off. I would consider triggering a relay via a GPIO and a script on the FPP. The script can be worked into a startup and shutdown script.

Post Thanks / Like

DMX from falcon controller is really e1.31 so if go that route, just send the code that the DMX controller needs to turn on output 1 and 2 before the sequences and send it the off signal at the end of the sequence. You could create a very short sequence that is called "controller 1 and 2 on" and "controller 1 and 2 off". It would just be another output in the sequencer. This would work as well with GPIO, just define the layout in FPP instead of the Falcon controller.

Depending on how you do the setup...you might want to isolate the outputs from the sequences and in that case, some scripts might work better.

I think one or both of the sequencers might have a setting that says "all off" at the end of sequence. You would have to be careful with that if the power relays were part of the regular layout.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys!

Iíve found a fairly decent looking relay board for the pi (with opto-isolation) that hooks up to the GPIO pins via a cable (ideal as I didnít want the relay card sitting on top of the pi).

As suggested Iíll take a hunt through the scripts and see what I can find thatís suitable - these relays literally need to be turned on during boot up and off again only once the entire show is finished for the night without any chance of interruption. With that in mind it makes every sense that this is a scripted function executed as start up and shut down events from the scheduler rather than relaying on any show sequenced output to maintain them.

Similarly some other relays on the same card I can use to trigger inputs on our HA System to set levels of the regular garden lighting system to suit different parts of the show, so all in all a good solution as Iím assuming scripts to actuate the relays can be run before/after specific sequences in the scheduler.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Cheers, Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk