Thread: Multiple Computers - Same Network

Post Thanks / Like

Default Multiple Computers - Same Network

In this thread - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...iple+computers - it is discouraged to use a centralized file (NAS, cloud drive, etc.). I believe the reason is speed of access. Is there any other reason?

I have several different computers around that I use, depending on a lot of factors. Instead of moving files from one machine to the next, I have them on a central NAS. As it gets closer and closer to "roast" in our daily temperature settings, I will be moving back inside and taking advantage of Willis Carrier's invention. I'm just trying to head off any problems that this setup might create.

Christmas is coming!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multiple Computers - Same Network

If the NAS is reliable and and is accessed over a wired connection, there should generally not be a problem. In the past we have generally discouraged it because of the unknown factor of how folks may have their network configured and trying to avoid potential for corruption. If you have a good backup regimen as you should for any important data you will likely be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff. I am currently using the setup, but wanted to make sure there weren't any "gotcha's" hidden in there someplace. Nothing like finding out down the road that what you did at the first corner was wrong. :|
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I think another reason is that others were also talking about multiple people sharing the files off the NAS and the possibility of 2 (or more) people working on the same sequence at the same time.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

That is definitely a consideration. We have worked out a system for that... Sticky Notes on the other computer, "I'm working on Hallelujah"!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

There is logic there to try and prevent the same profile from being opened on two different computers, so it will try to protect you from doing bad things. The whole locked profile situation. But if you go remove the lock while someone else is using it, then it will go down hill from there if two people edit the setup on two different computers at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

It comes down to where the lock is applied. The profile (as a whole), or the sequence (individually).
    Since I'm the only one in the house that does Vixen sequences, we are safe.

The multiple computer scenario is that I jump from location to location, within the house. I'm my own worse enemy in this situation as I may get up from my machine on the porch, turn on my machine at my upstairs desk, and try to continue what I was doing out back and forget that I left the sequence open down there. I use remote desktop to control from one to the other, so that situation is easily rectified - when I do it.

Though it is possible to jump to locations away from home, linking back to the NAS, that scenario doesn't work for me as the speed of the connections isn't consistent (external WAN). But around the house, a full Gig network exists and all is good.
    Live, Laugh, Love.