Thread: Pex tubing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pex tubing

Are all brands the same as far as translucent properties?

Home Depot in my are sells Apollo brand pex with no markings on the outside.

100 foot rolls are $45 for 3/4

Is 3/4 big enough for pixel strips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pex tubing

I have not seen any difference between the offerings, other than color. Colored PEX tends to be less translucent than the white, by a lot.
    3/4" is big enough for pixel strips.
    It may be too tight of a squeeze for bullet nodes.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    I have not seen any difference between the offerings, other than color. Colored PEX tends to be less translucent than the white, by a lot.
    3/4" is big enough for pixel strips.
    It may be too tight of a squeeze for bullet nodes.
    you are going to want to go with 1" pex. not sure if you are into 3d printing, if not, there are several guys avail for hire, BUT there are a few really good models of 3d printed bases for 1" pex pipe on thingiverse. i use pixel strip in 1" pex and am toying with the idea of nodes inside of pex. i've tested 1" with little room to spare, so i wouldn't venture to try it with 3/4".

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the 3/4" SharkBite from Home Depot with IP67 and IP68 strip. Not fun... I would recommend minimum of 1" for arches. I went to nodes last year due to massive failures with strip... 1" worked for nodes as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3/4" white PEX from Home Depot with strips for arches and had no problems. It took a couple minutes of wiggling and jiggling to get the strip all the way into and through the tubing but I didn't have to do anything to anchor or hold the strips in place - they didn't move or twist. Maybe I just got lucky...?

Post Thanks / Like

Do people generally prefer the diffused look of tube hoops, or the more random pixels wrapped around the outside of a hoop (Trista Lights style)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ratcliffe View Post
    Do people generally prefer the diffused look of tube hoops, or the more random pixels wrapped around the outside of a hoop (Trista Lights style)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you will find folks in both camps. For mine, I used strip inside 1" PEX for a more diffused look.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

The 3/4" shark bite PEX works just fine with strips. Our "PEX Tree" is made from it. 5 meter (~16.5 feet) strips mounted inside.
    Note that we used a rod to pull the strips through the PEX. Bought the 20 foot PEX tubes from True Value Hardware.
    Plugs for 3/4" to close both ends if the PEX are readily available here.

If you are doing arches or the like, 1 1/2" (or larger, e.g. 2") HDPE works great. Getting some of the 3D printed feet is a good thing. Lots of other methods to choose from.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use 1 1/2" HDPE rebar caps work great for feet. Available at any Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. Cut 4 - 1 1/2" slits in the bottom of the tubing. It allows the rebar cap to slip inside the HDPE. Screw the caps to a piece of deck board, stake it down. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

1" pex will allow most pigtails to pass through. 3/4 wont. I solder / seal all my pigtails on the workbench and then work through the PEX. Makes life a bit easier...at least for me.