Thread: Lighting - above ground pool with pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lighting - above ground pool with pixels

I was looking at light options for the pool. I was thinking since the pixels stay out in the weather, they should be able to handle getting heavily splashed in the pool. These would be under the plastic perimeter coping so you can't see them. i have seen on here people outlining their fence and leaving them out. If this is you, i could use some feedback on running wires, etc. I can make sure the connections are on the outside of the pool under the coping, but the pixels will be hanging over the pool water.

what generic type of controller could i get away with? I would assume the controller and power supply will be inside a cg case.

Otherwise, let me know how foolish my idea is. Or better yet, how i can make it work out!
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lighting - above ground pool with pixels

As long as they are out of the sun, they wont turn yellow. If all your looking to do is have mood lighting I would go with dumb nodes, a lot cheaper to replace if something goes wrong. Keep the controller and psu in a cage box at least 10 feet away from pool, this way you avoid splashing.

Post Thanks / Like

looking for a little more than mood lighting, hoping to be able to see through the water, make sure there are no alligators in there or sticks on the bottom.

What kind of dumb nodes are you referring to? i am not planning to program every individual bulb, i really just want some sort of dumb controller that i can pick a color and maybe intensity.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    looking for a little more than mood lighting, hoping to be able to see through the water, make sure there are no alligators in there or sticks on the bottom.

What kind of dumb nodes are you referring to? i am not planning to program every individual bulb, i really just want some sort of dumb controller that i can pick a color and maybe intensity.
    Thats what dumb nodes are, ,they look just like pixels but instead of programming each node, the entire string will be the same color, and yes, you can choose any color ya want, and what intensity it is. My suggestion would be a controller from china that has a remote on it, or a wireless controller that you can control from xlights. If you can solder, i can send you a renstick, you would have to build it, it works with the ESP modules.

Post Thanks / Like

I can solder, built my RenSS24's and E682's because i'm too cheap! With that said, i have very little luck with SMD's. I have a PX1 controller that i have done nothing with, but i think it only runs 200 pixels. its possible i could make 200 work. I have not read much on the renstick, but would be interested if that's an easy solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    I can solder, built my RenSS24's and E682's because i'm too cheap! With that said, i have very little luck with SMD's. I have a PX1 controller that i have done nothing with, but i think it only runs 200 pixels. its possible i could make 200 work. I have not read much on the renstick, but would be interested if that's an easy solution.
    The renstick is for dumb nodes only. I could send you one, PM me your email address and i will send ya the pdf file on it so you can read up on it first.