Thread: Starting with pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting with pixels.

I bought 20awg wired 12v pixels and I am scared I messed up. I just now watched a video on YouTube about the differences in 18awg and 20awg.
    I was planning on using a falcon f48 and running 200 pixels from the differential receivers without power injections. Now I think because I cheaper out on wire size I'll have to power inject. What is your guys and gals advice on best route to go from here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting with pixels.

It really depends on many things. But with 200 pixels you will likely need power injection even with 18ga. I think a general rule is about 100 pixels before power injection at 12 volts. It drops to 50 at 5 volts. There are many threads here on the forum on this topic.

FYI, the most I have been able to get with my 12 volt pixels with18ga wire is 108. Any more than that and the results start to deteriorate pretty fast. Although some people have been able to get more.

just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule of thumb, power injection with LEDs is a fact of life for anything over 100 12v LEDs. Learn to love it. Just run a power cable from your PSU to the end of the 200 LED strand, and youíll be fine.

Oh, and when only the first 50 pixels light up when you power it on, check the pixel count on your Falcon setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes @ 200 pixels you will need to power inject, but you can do it at the end of the run to simplify things. Also running you pixels at 50% brightness (some go to 30%) can extend the how many you can run before need to power inject, I have couple runs about 145 that are fine w/o. You really just need to test your to see.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to know is to test it. If you limit intensity to 20-30% it might work out. I run my show at 30% or less anyways. I go 300+ pixels powered from one end @20% with no issues with 18AWG. Lower the intensity on the output and test. If its yellow towards the end of the string lower intensity more. People rarely use all white so if it works with all white at a reduced intensity it will work for your show. FYI you cant power 200 pixels at 100% intensity from the Falcon anyways. It will blow the fuse on the output

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I plan to use close to 40% intensity because we have a trailer and about an acre of land where I live. But neighbors on all sides of us, don't want to keep them up late with the brightness. I found another supplier of pixels that I am going to use from now on they have 18awg never buying off Amazon again that site has gone down hill hard.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a lot of wire today about 120$ worth. If my plan works won't need wire this year I hope. I bought 18awg 2+1 ofc and 14 awg ofc. Both at 100 feet. Anyone know if I can run an extension cord to the controllers off a power saver? If I can that would help me not stress out about extra voltage going from the wall into the psu.

Post Thanks / Like

Another question I have is what should I line the bottom of my mtm ammo boxes with? Coroplast or some other material?

Post Thanks / Like

I make mounting boards out of 5mm Perspex with all the components mounted on these, inc PSU if itís a large box, then Velcro that into the bottom so itís easily removable for maintenance. If itís a small box with just a receiver or something in it, i Velcro the PSU into the bottom of the tub and then the backboard on top of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so from my psu to the controller going to run the 14awg it's only going to be like 4 inches apart. From my controllers to the pigtails I plan to run the 18awg. I might end up getting some more wire if this doesn't pan out might get 14/3 if I can find it.