Thread: New to Arduino and Prototyping

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Arduino and Prototyping

I have been working on a Non-Light Display project using an Arduino and electronic scale to control a DC Motor. My experience with electronics has been as a technician following steps in a premade kit with fully designed PCBs. I am ready to take my project from breadboard to a more permanent solution, but I am not prepared to design a circuit board. So my question is with a two-sided perfboard what is the best practice for making something like a ground plane, or 5V plane? I have seen solder bridges but wondered about other solutions.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to Arduino and Prototyping

This may not be what you're after, but I spent a while messing with stripboard/perfboard until I discovered jlcpcb.com - You can throw PCBs together using KiCad (open-source) or their own web-based EDA thing, and have 5 PCBs made up (24 hours) and shipped (slowly) for very little money - I'm waiting on a bunch right now which cost me less than £6GBP (~7.50USD) shipped to the UK. I think they'll even ship the components alongside the boards if you export from their EDA to their supplier, although I've never tried this.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but the end result seems solid - definitely more reliable than anything I slapped together with stripboard. Frankly, if I can produce something usable, anyone can, and if you end up needing to respin the board, it's pretty cheap.

(For the record, I've no affiliation with anyone mentioned, just a happy customer)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteMatthews View Post
    This may not be what you're after, but I spent a while messing with stripboard/perfboard until I discovered jlcpcb.com - You can throw PCBs together using KiCad (open-source) or their own web-based EDA thing, and have 5 PCBs made up (24 hours) and shipped (slowly) for very little money - I'm waiting on a bunch right now which cost me less than £6GBP (~7.50USD) shipped to the UK. I think they'll even ship the components alongside the boards if you export from their EDA to their supplier, although I've never tried this.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but the end result seems solid - definitely more reliable than anything I slapped together with stripboard. Frankly, if I can produce something usable, anyone can, and if you end up needing to respin the board, it's pretty cheap.

(For the record, I've no affiliation with anyone mentioned, just a happy customer)
    Thanks for the suggestion, but for the moment I am just looking for a more robust method of wiring my circuit while I continue testing and making adjustments to the design.
    2016 - No Display
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe these might interest you .
    Pad Per Hole and Ground Plane 2 sides .
    VECTORBORD® CIRCBORD® PRINTED CIRCUIT PROTOTYPING BOARDS

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/645/usd/2312.pdf

https://www.tindie.com/stores/SpeedyLab/
    Last edited by angus40; 07-12-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again. I guess what I am really trying to ask is,

When using a 2 sided perf board for making a semi-permanent circuit, is there a better way to connect several grounds together other than running solder bridges?
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

You can lay a length of wire across several of the pads and then solder to each pad.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you're asking, but one thing that comes to mind are T107 bus strips from Vector Electronics, although they may be hard to find at a decent price.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at solar tabbing wire