Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast can you put a show together?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How fast can you put a show together?

I'm just being curious here with my question.

If I gave you 3 Christmas props (where each one had 10 pixels), a simple 2 minute Christmas Wav/MP3 file.

What would you use to create your show with? And how long would it take you?

Thanks for any comments!

Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How fast can you put a show together?

for me, sequencing that would be 30 minutes/10 seconds of music. 12 x 30 = 360 minutes. for a hack job: 60 minutes.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. What's up?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I would program it in as long it took to listen to the the music about 10 times. So about 20-30 minutes. The first time just to feel it. The second time to set some marks. The third time to adjust the marks. Then random effects. Then edit the effects. One problem with your question would be that with only 10 pixels in a prop and only 3 props, most of the random effects would really need some work to look okay. But not long to get 'er done.

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't take long to create the show. Fifteen or twenty minutes to make the models and drop effects. But to actually set up a show to run those models, push pixels, place and wire them, set up the controllers and music...., all of that would take much longer.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Four minutes. Once to listen to the MP3, then 2 minutes to sequence it. The sequence would be crappy, but quality wasn't part of the requirements.
    And I'd use the old Vixen 2.1 because there are only 90 channels.

Last edited by dirknerkle; 07-08-2019 at 09:32 AM.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files, including Gerbers and DipTrace design files.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothings up @algerdes.

I was just curious. Sometimes I get a wild hair on an idea but before I crank it up I will do a drive-by to see how others might deal with such an event.

So from what I am seeing 4 min to an hour is what I was hoping to see. Granted, a more complex show would require more time. I think if I keep my props limited with interchangeable light patterns then an hour threshold looks pretty good.

When I create this idea I'll post it here to get feedback.

Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Four minutes. Once to listen to the MP3, then 2 minutes to sequence it. The sequence would be crappy, but quality wasn't part of the requirements.
    And I'd use the old Vixen 2.1 because there are only 90 channels.

Come to the dark side Dirk. I bet even your engineers hiding in the basement have had enough of Vixen 2.1, but are too afraid of you to say anything

Even with only 90 channels this is easier to do using Vixen 3 or xlights. The built in pixel support alone makes the patching simpler. Add in the ability to apply effects to the props and there is where Vixen 2.1 shows its age.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Pug Poo!

My computer with Vixen is officially dead. I can't point fingers at Dirk as I was using Vixen 2 as well. I'm so embarrassed

Well, Vixen 3 here I come.

Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Come to the dark side Dirk. I bet even your engineers hiding in the basement have had enough of Vixen 2.1, but are too afraid of you to say anything

Even with only 90 channels this is easier to do using Vixen 3 or xlights. The built in pixel support alone makes the patching simpler. Add in the ability to apply effects to the props and there is where Vixen 2.1 shows its age.
    Dave let the Engineers go about a year ago, and he's still trying to clear the slime out of the Lab!
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast