Thread: Best place to get pixels and pixel strips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best place to get pixels and pixel strips

I unfortunately lost ALL of my Christmas display in flood waters early this spring. I was using Renard Controllers and incandescent and led lights. Thousands of lights and several controllers ruined, they were in a public storage building and unfortunately I didnít have insurance on them. 🤬

I think Iíve decided to make the jump to pixels since Iím rebuilding from the ground up. Iím going to start small and build up over the next few years due to financial constraints.

Where is the best place to buy pixels, bullets and strips? Most likely 12v to save on power injection

Iíve seen people talk about Ray Wuís site, but it seems like you pay a ton for shipping, am I missing something?

Iíve seen lots of others on EBay and Amazon too.

So whatís the best place?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best place to get pixels and pixel strips

There are several US-based vendors available, with many of them listed on this site. Ray Wu seems to be a popular choice for many, and the reccomendation for him is that you browse through his site, pick what you want, then e-mail him with a request for shipping. It will be lower than what is listed on his site.

Of course, the first thing to do before ordering is plan your layout, but I bet you already knew that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmizer2 View Post
    I unfortunately lost ALL of my Christmas display in flood waters early this spring. I was using Renard Controllers and incandescent and led lights. Thousands of lights and several controllers ruined, they were in a public storage building and unfortunately I didnít have insurance on them.

I think Iíve decided to make the jump to pixels since Iím rebuilding from the ground up. Iím going to start small and build up over the next few years due to financial constraints.

Where is the best place to buy pixels, bullets and strips? Most likely 12v to save on power injection

Iíve seen people talk about Ray Wuís site, but it seems like you pay a ton for shipping, am I missing something?

Iíve seen lots of others on EBay and Amazon too.

So whatís the best place?
    Holiday coro. Com

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I second emailing Ray. This is my 4th year running pixels and my first year using Ray. I will tell you my personal experience that I was able to ask for custom spacing between pixels with Ray. I was able to save money purchasing from Ray and I received them in about 2 weeks with the custom spacing. Just email ray@rita-light.com a list of what you want and how many, he will email you back a quote that includes shipping.
    For my order I emailed 100pcs/set 12v WS2811 bullets 4.5 inch spacing 10EA etc. So like above search his site find the items you want, you can ask about the stock items or add custom measurements to the items such as I did. He will send an invoice back with the price of each item and then the shipping will be on the invoice showing a total price. If all is good then you follow the instructions to pay via PayPal, I then replied to his email stating I made the payment. Then work on programming while you wait for your goodies to arrive. Mine arrived in 1 day once he shipped.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you are going to get a variety of answers on this question, but here are my 2 cents. If you prefer to order for a US-based vendor (faster shipping, customer service, etc), I would recommend Crockett Fantasy of Lights at https://cfolights.com/. If you want to order custom strands or don't mind waiting on a shipment from China, I've used Paul Zhang on multiple occasions and have been very pleased.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Email Ray for shipping once you know what you want. He's very responsive and easy to deal with. If you're buying thousands of pixels it can save you money going with Ray. If buying a couple hundred you can go locally. The savings won't be that great. Ray takes about 1-2 weeks to receive your order from the time you place it. I've dealt with Ray and I have no complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those questions with no answer. There is no BEST place, but there are a lot of good places. And there are lots of post on this forum that discuss those places.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

I too started with pixels and went slow. I've chosen to use Ray Wu for 90% of my stuff. I third the email him with your order. I can attest to the fact that Ray is a great guy to deal with. Shipping is actually faster than expected. As soon as I get an order, I test EVERYTHING. I've gotten some bad strings (it happens no matter who) and Ray just sent me new replacement ones w/o any hassle or additional shipping. A word of caution, test everything. Make sure that if you get connectors you check continuity. I've gotten some connectors that were wired wrong and if I didn't catch it, it would've blown the strings.
    As far as controllers, your going to get every opinion out there. I prefer San Devices. I get the kits and solder my own boards. For me, it's fun and saves money. Many people are going to recommend other controllers and they are all great, but I prefer the through hole design of the San Device. It hasn't happened but, if something should fail, I can fix it myself. Not many people can solder/fix the fancy other controllers that have surface mounted chips.