Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vixen crashes when importing xModel... What am I missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen crashes when importing xModel... What am I missing?

Disclaimer: Bear with me as I mention xLights, but I am using Vixen as my sequencer.

Ok, so I have three chromacharacters I purchased from Boscoyo. I located and selected each (in xLights) in the layout set-up to get the wiring diagram and confirmed the face association to the pixels. I exported the xModels and saved them in a location for importing.

Then (moving to Vixen) on the Custom Prop editor window under Configure Preview, I've attempted to Import the xModels several times and each time Vixen crashes. (Log file attached)
    Is there any conversion of the file step of the process that I am missing in between applications or am in the wrong location for importing?

This is the part where I tell you how much searching I’ve done…. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda…. But I’m here, so I think that would just be nonsensical.

Any guidance or feedback is appreciated.
    I hate not being able to find what I'm looking or even just a piece of the puzzle that leads me in a new direction.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Have a happy and safe Independence Day!
    Krampus
    Army Veteran

Vixen 3.5u4
    2x F16x3 v.1 Controllers (one with 1x expansion and the other with 2x expansions)
    15372 Channels (5124 Pixels, but I have another 2k sitting here starting at me for my next build, so if I get this resolved quickly... who knows....)
    EDM Design FM Transmitter
    Behringer Xenyx 302USB Premium 5-Input Mixer with Mic Preamp
    Raspberry Pi 3 (Already pre-ordered the Pi 4, patiently or impatiently waiting....)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen crashes when importing xModel... What am I missing?

What are the Boscoyo models you are trying to import?

Post Thanks / Like

The characters are:

ChromaCharacters Elf - https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....q9349vjsirmlq4
    ChromaCharacters Rudolf - https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....q9349vjsirmlq4
    ChromaCharacters Santa - https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....q9349vjsirmlq4

FYI... there was issues with the Rudolph character. I found several different references to how many pixels it should have. The wiring diagram that was in xLights listed 271, but their website still reflects 258, though I'm told it should reflect 268. I settled on 271 as per the wiring diagram in xLights, but I can adjust that to some degree. This of course all can be accounted or adjusted for, just referencing it as it was a bit confusing to me at first.

Post Thanks / Like

I've attached the three xModels I believe you need.

FYI the reindeer is 271 pixels in the xModel attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, man those were exactly what I was looking for. I can't say how much I appreciate the sharing of files.
    Just for my reference and sanity, is there a place out there where these are stored. I'm a 3rd year newb (FNG... I know), I want to utilize all my resources before posting a thread, if/when possible.

Thanks again Nick!

Krampus

Post Thanks / Like

For four easy payments of $19.95, I will gladly place you my subscription list and send you a new one each month.....you'd be my first subscriber! (Why oh why do people have to always try to sell things!)

You can find the most current list here:
    http://hohenseefamily.com/xlights/Models/

Right click the links on the page and click "Save Link As..."
    PRO Tip: If you hover over the links it should show you the full name in the bottom of your browser.

Our goal is to have a browser of sorts that allows you to view the whole list with pictures and import them within Vixen (That's more than I know how to code though)

Post Thanks / Like

So I make every attempt to stay away from using the word "literally" because it's really lost all meaning in todays society. However, I will make an exception in this case because I literally found myself laughing out loud (yes, another overused acronym) when I read this, it is so true. Everyone wants to sell you something, click-bait is everywhere... Though honestly it's difficult to put a price on having the right information at the right time.

Thanks again Nick, much appreciated. I will use this information and your advice going forward.

When given a choice, I try to side with teaching a man to fish, versus feeding them for a day.

Krampus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stickywicket View Post
    for four easy payments of $19.95, i will gladly place you my subscription list and send you a new one each month.....you'd be my first subscriber! (why oh why do people have to always try to sell things
    preach!

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: <<Full disclosure, I was happy with my success of finally being able to upload the Xmodel file, then saving each prop as a PRP file in the Vixen Display Config Preview page. Once uploaded, they looked great! Set them up as Pixels and then made sure the mouth, hat, face outline, etc… all look good and seem in order. And they did in the preview page, sooo. Well, I went back to sequencing some more of my show. I’ve only just recently gone back to attempt to patch and setup the props/elements. Hence the reason for the delay in the update.>>

Ok, so I went into Set-up Display, set the color handling and go to patch them and I notice the number of Pixels for two of my props are off by one. The Boscoyo Santa says 245 when is should be 246 and Elf says 222 when it should be 223. Of course when I patch them and go to the Sequence, they both are off. The elf seems simple in the sense that I see the missing pixel in the outline, but the Santa I have yet so see where that pixel is missing. Compounding that is nothing is in order with the channels because of one being right after the other, so the alignment only exacerbates from one prop to the next. HELP!

Is there a way to modify the XMODEL file or any of the data to account for the missing pixel in each… or am I doing something wrong, missing a step?

Again, this is where I mention how much searching I have done, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I’m back…. so I think we get how that went.

Post Thanks / Like

Xlights has some tools for fixing errors in xmodel files.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast