Thread: Has anyone tried these?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone tried these?

I know I can use a network switch to drive 2 controllers but then I noticed this. So let's say I have a 682 and 6804 in one box. Instead of a network switch can I use this to supply a network to both controllers?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone tried these?

That splitter won't work for your needs. They do make splitters that do what you need but you need two of them. This article has a good picture and explanation of how it would work.

https://eastmanreference.com/the-dif...itch-and-a-hub

Post Thanks / Like

Have not used that version but years ago we did something similar at work. Should work.

Post Thanks / Like

It could work, but it would not best practice. If you are running multicast itíll probably be ok since multicast typically floods the network with data anyway (unless your network and devices support IGMP- probably not). If you are running unicast you will have packet collisions and be running on reduced bandwidth. Think of a hub as multiple people all talking at once - itís hard to understand everyone. Switches are like moderators to help direct conversations and make sure everyone is heard. Switches are cheap. I know it means you need room and power for another device, but I believe the benefits outweigh the risks.

Post Thanks / Like

Just get one of these
    They are small, cheap and work good. Itís 5 volt. I have them installed in all my boxes.

2C401110-BC44-45C0-8A0A-D7AD9190A3C2.jpg
    Chuck P
    nothing to show

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks. I was just wondering if it would work. I'm running Unicast so that there alone wouldn't work. I have several small network switches but just wanted to know if those were feasible.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

CAT5 negotiation protocol is a point-to-point mechanism. Splitters like that do not allow the DXE negotiations to work.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q