Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Fv3 question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Fv3 question

    When you run two differential receivers from the expansion board do they need a different address than the main board?
    I am running 16 universes from the FV3 and want to run 8 more universes from the 2- 4 port receivers. I was going to have the same address for them all and just setup 24 universes. on fpp page. I am running Xlights.
    thanks for the help
    John

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lebanon, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Fv3 question

    No. The differential receivers are getting their signals from the 4 pair in the cat 5e/6 cable, developed by the main board. They are an extension of the main board - where the control signals are generated.

    One thing I noticed in your request. Are you associating a universe per output? This is not the case. You can do this, but each physical output can handle a LOT of channels (1,024 pixels or 3,072 channels), that when divided in your version of a "universe" (510, 512, 1024, 2048 - of which the "DMX Standard" is 512 channels per "universe") can be several universes per output, or a partial universe. You can also send part of a "universe" out one port, and another part out of another port.

    The F16V3 can take in up to 96 universes (49,152 channels), and distribute them to up to 48 outputs. 16 on the native board, and any combination of the other 32 on remote expansion boards, extension boards, etc.
    Last edited by algerdes; 07-01-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Fv3 question

    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    No. The differential receivers are getting their signals from the 4 pair in the cat 5e/6 cable, developed by the main board. They are an extension of the main board - where the control signals are generated.

    One thing I noticed in your request. Are you associating a universe per output? This is not the case. You can do this, but each physical output can handle a LOT of channels (1,024 pixels or 3,072 channels), that when divided in your version of a "universe" (510, 512, 1024, 2048 - of which the "DMX Standard" is 512 channels per "universe") can be several universes per output, or a partial universe. You can also send part of a "universe" out one port, and another part out of another port.

    The F16V3 can take in up to 96 universes (49,152 channels), and distribute them to up to 48 outputs. 16 on the native board, and any combination of the other 32 on remote expansion boards, extension boards, etc.
    Thank you. This information will send me in another direction, hmmmm maybe more pixels.
    Thanks
    John

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lebanon, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Fv3 question

    Let me rephrase...

    Quote Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
    When you run two differential receivers from the expansion board do they need a different address than the main board?
    No, you don't need a different address. As stated, the main board is doing all the actual processing and is accessed at the single IP.


    Quote Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
    I am running 16 universes from the FV3 and want to run 8 more universes from the 2- 4 port receivers. I was going to have the same address for them all and just setup 24 universes. on fpp page. I am running Xlights.
    This is totally possible. Though I hesitate to assign "universe" to "output" (see earlier response), this actually will work. 16 outputs off of the main board, and 8 outputs off of a differential sender board. (4 RJ45s, with 4 outputs each are standard on the differential sender.)

    Quote Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
    thanks for the help
    John
    Note there was no intention of confusing the matter. Hope this helps.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Fv3 question

    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Let me rephrase...


    No, you don't need a different address. As stated, the main board is doing all the actual processing and is accessed at the single IP.



    This is totally possible. Though I hesitate to assign "universe" to "output" (see earlier response), this actually will work. 16 outputs off of the main board, and 8 outputs off of a differential sender board. (4 RJ45s, with 4 outputs each are standard on the differential sender.)



    Note there was no intention of confusing the matter. Hope this helps.
    This helped me to better understand the whole processing of the ports.
    Thank you greatly
    John

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •