Thread: Arduino and xlights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arduino and xlights

I have been running Vixen with 2 arduinos for the past three years. I like Vixen, but thinking about trying xlights. Will my sketch on the arduinos that I use with vixen work on xlights or will I have to get a new sketch? Just wondering because I am not very good at writing sketches and I paid a friend to write this one for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino and xlights

It depends on the protocol your sketch expects. I assume it is a serial protocol. In which case it would need to be one of the standard one xlights supports. Most would use opendmx.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you connected to your computer? Or using a Pi?
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

PI and Vixen both support Renard and generic serial protocols. He has to be using one of them. DMX is very unlikely.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

If the protocol is serial, xlights will output serial using DMX. The arduino would need a tweak for some information that sent in front of the stream but should not be difficult. Unless you have a reason to convert to xLights, I would stay with Vixen. It will just make the process easier.

If you decide to try xLights, post the code you use and someone will probably be able to guide you.