Thread: raspberry pi build request

Post Thanks / Like

Default raspberry pi build request

Hi all you Linux guru's out there ,
    It would be great if someone could put an image together that contains both falcon player and either xlights or vixen. I have racked my feeble brain trying to make it work and have failed miserably.

Maybe it's my board I am using a rock64 but I plan on getting a raspberry pi 3 + tomorrow. I couldn't even get falcon player to run on the rock64.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: raspberry pi build request

at no point will vixen run on a linux box. vixen is a windows program. with thar said, if you have a powerful linux box then you could run swine and run vixen in emulation mode. you could also set up a windows vm and run vixen in the vm. pi is not a powerful linux machine.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really not sure what you are trying to do....

FPP and xLights/Vixens are COMPLETELY different things. FPP is designed to run on a Pi or BeagleBone to run shows and/or output pixels. The sequencing of that is done via xLights or Vixen, but that is done on your normal computer (Mac/Windows/Linux for xLights, Windows only for Vixen) and then uploaded to FPP. xLights and Vixen are definitely NOT designed to be run on the Pi/BBB directly.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Xlights has a build designed for Linux it has an install script but I couldn't get it to run. Linux is a great system and these new single board computer's have as much power as some of the not to much older desktop computers and laptops! Being one with a Microsoft background Linux or Unix is a totally different animal

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but the Pi does not have the memory or video required to run xLights.

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    xLights and Vixen are definitely NOT designed to be run on the Pi/BBB directly.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

There is a BIG difference between the needs of the program to read and distribute the contents of the FSEQ file, and the processing required to make Vixen or xLights work.
    Live, Laugh, Love.