Thread: how many pixels per com port

Post Thanks / Like

Default how many pixels per com port

There is a chart on the PX1 page that says at 115k baud the max number of pixels is 382 and each controller can control 200 pixels. So for each line out from the PC a max of 2 PX1's can be used if they are fully loaded. Now looking at a mega tree (or even a minor(?) tree) the number of pixels can reach much greater than that. So my question is is the chart correct and is the solution to add a usb hub and a bunch of 485 converters? I noticed there are a lot higher baud rates in vixen. Are they usable? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how many pixels per com port

You would probably want to look at purchasing a different controller. Something like the Sans Device 6804 or the Falcon F4v3. Both are 4 port controllers capable of running 680+ per port. Or if you are really going to be using pixels, you may want to consider one of the 16 port ones.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

the limit is on the comm port itself really so if you are gonna run multiple px1s on 1 comm port you are limited to that number as max across all px1s not on each 1 if you have 1 px1 on each usb port then that single px1 can run the max you can also run at a little higher baud rate and get a little more pixel on a px1 think they tested up to 250 pixels I ran my tree with 2 px1s for 3 yrs but it was only 300 pixels each px1 ran off own usb port with its own 485 adapter as was already said you should look into one of the other controllers that allow you to run more pixels I run my tree now with a Alphapix controller from Holiday coro
    Last edited by TazChaLet; 06-17-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Are the different protocols mixable? That is can part of the show be renard and part E1.31 and part one of the other ones?

Post Thanks / Like

yes you can, last yr I ran 2 renard ss24 daisy chained then a px1 and 2 dumb dmx each were on own usb ports then I had 2 e131 alphapix controllers running off a router
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starsman20 View Post
    There is a chart on the PX1 page that says at 115k baud the max number of pixels is 382 and each controller can control 200 pixels. So for each line out from the PC a max of 2 PX1's can be used if they are fully loaded. Now looking at a mega tree (or even a minor(?) tree) the number of pixels can reach much greater than that. So my question is is the chart correct and is the solution to add a usb hub and a bunch of 485 converters? I noticed there are a lot higher baud rates in vixen. Are they usable? Thanks in advance.
    Each USB dongle is a com port to the PC. Each com port running at 115K supports 382 pixels. I had a 7 port USB hub driving 12 PX1s (two per usb dongle) and a spare USB port. My USB hub max's out at a bit over 2Mbps load. So load was not an issue. I replaced all of this with Falcon F16R2's that can handle 680 pixels / pixel port and use the 1Gbps Ethernet line to deliver data from the show player (I use FPP) to the pixel controller. I now have 30+ PX1s sitting around looking for something to do.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q