Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ws 2812b pixels to control Dc motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ws 2812b pixels to control Dc motors

Have many of you taken on this endeavour ?

After a few weeks of playing with this idea , I have finally figured this out so I can be simply sequence motors along with the rest of the display .

I had originally thought motors used in displays would be common place and that folks would be using a something directly related to this hobby in doing so .

Not being a coder and tutorials related to this are minimal at best .

I have enjoyed the learning curve in doing this , though it would be nice to see via e1.31 for pixel control .

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ws 2812b pixels to control Dc motors

lots of people do motor control via e1.31. FYI: ws2812 does not have the outputs connected in a way you can use them. WS2811 gives you want you want. In this case you get three PWM outputs to use as you please. But most motor controls cant make use oof PWM outputs. There is a project that takes WS2811 output and binds it to some triacs to make a ws2811 driven ssr which could be used to drive a motor

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct in the hardware I used a 5v ws2811 pixel board . I have sequenced using the ws2812b selection just as the pixels being used.
    My mistake for the poor clarity
    The excitement of getting it working via trial and error clouded my post , sorry for that .

Post Thanks / Like

Check this out - it might be what your looking for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UijLGeUGpOk
    https://www.pixel2things.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by covewi View Post
    Check this out - it might be what your looking for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UijLGeUGpOk
    https://www.pixel2things.com/
    Thank you for posting this .
    I posted this as an interest thread to see what others are doing .
    The links are exactly what this thread needs

So far I am content in using the nodemcu which works well and permits pixel level control wirelessly .
    As a test setup , I used LedFx on an android and nodemcu to prove my thoughts .
    All works as suspected so implementing into any sequencer of choice ( in my case HLS ) will be a breeze .

Post Thanks / Like

i'd like to control a stepper motor from e1.31 to make a kind of dmx-winch. I'd like absolute control meaning 1 in the channel is position 1 and 254 in the channel is position 254. I tried this half a year ago and got some rudimentary movement. I have to call in my neighbour to help (he's a programmer)....
    Errors for fun only.

Post Thanks / Like

You will need some sort of controller to translate desired position to motor pulses and track the current motor position. There is a bit more to it than saying 1 is al the way to the left and 255 is all the way to the right.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

yes I know, that's why I need my neighbour

I want to use an esp8266 for that
    Errors for fun only.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you use the WeMos R1D1 board. 8266 based but has more of the IO pins available. You could do more than one motor on a single board.

Post Thanks / Like

I added pixel data motor control to the EspixelStick firmware for the nodemcu if anyone is interested .

Also ,have exported as .bin for ease of firmware upload .

The down side to this is , is that it is sign-magnitude mode and requires 2 signal wires per motor .

Locked anti-phase mode is the direction I will be looking to achieve for only 1 signal per motor but requires a shift from using the l29* ic . .
    Last edited by angus40; 06-14-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast