Thread: Time Code & Lighting Desk Integration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time Code & Lighting Desk Integration

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any experience of using time code to sync a display up with a stage lighting desk?

I used Vixen 3 for my first efforts at a display last year, and have checked out XLights also, so happy to experiment with either for this years project.

Iíd like to program moving lights and the more theatrical elements on a lighting console, and sequence the pixels and traditional Christmas lights through either vixen or xlights.

Has anyone tried this? Iím guessing outputting timecode from the sequencer and having the lighting console respond at the relevant points would be most easily achievable?

Many Thanks, Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Time Code & Lighting Desk Integration

This question and a discussion has come up before. May I suggest doing a search on all the sites. Sorry, but I'm unable to do that search at the moment.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Iíve searched through here quite extensively and not found anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

OK. Took some time and fired up the computer.
    Did a search on "Rudolph Search".
    Quite a few entries in the result.

https://www.rudolphsearch.com/

If you didn't know, Rudolph Search is a compilation of a lot of the DIYC sites. It has come in handy quite a few times for me.

Have fun.

Edit - For some reason I'm getting a warning about the site from both Chrome and Firefox. With Firefox I tell it to go ahead and all works. A followup scan of my computer shows nothing came across and no data breaches were detected. Go figure. Use at your own discretion.
    Last edited by algerdes; 06-05-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Xlights scheduler has various flavours of timecode support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    OK. Took some time and fired up the computer.
    Did a search on "Rudolph Search".
    Quite a few entries in the result.

https://www.rudolphsearch.com/

If you didn't know, Rudolph Search is a compilation of a lot of the DIYC sites. It has come in handy quite a few times for me.

Have fun.

Edit - For some reason I'm getting a warning about the site from both Chrome and Firefox. With Firefox I tell it to go ahead and all works. A followup scan of my computer shows nothing came across and no data breaches were detected. Go figure. Use at your own discretion.
    "Web sites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for www.rudolphsearch.com. The certificate is only valid for rudolphsearch.com. "

Take out the www. and firefox accepts it: https://rudolphsearch.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies, I wasnít aware of Rudolph search but it does seem useful given the number of forums and sites on the topic and how ďspread outĒ the collective info therefore becomes.

Most of the references/topics/posts on time code Iíve found generally seem to be related to syncing video content or multiple pixel controller setups.

Iíve heard others say the time code functions exist in xlights, so Iíll give that a whirl at some point.

If there is anyone out there that has actually output timecode from their sequencer and had a lighting console run cues along side, would be great to chat!

Thanks again, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spoken to several trialing it for use in live shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that is another angle of interest, as that is my main line of work, would be good to know how you get on with that.

In that scenario youíd have to run it the other way around and trigger the sequencer from the console - and with packages like vixen / xlights I suspect youíd run into issue with the rendering time. Iíve noticed using both packages that there can be some unpredictable variable delay while it ďpre-processesĒ the sequence file before starting the show. To be able to include a sequencer in a live performance it would have to be able to respond in an instant to time code/midi cues or synchronisation of the sequenced elements with the main rig would be impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it doesnít render in real time. There are many different configurations depending on your need. I have one guy with lights on his drums that play effects as he hits them. There is a lot in xlights to support these sort of shows and more gets added all the time.