Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From the Beginning

Post Thanks / Like

Default From the Beginning

Scenario:
    You are brand new to DIYC. Your display for the past decade (or more) consists of LED strings (big box store bought) and a bunch of extensions hooking them all together.

Going through several sites, you stumble upon Carson Williams' display (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks). You are hooked! You hunt and find a site called Vixenlights.com.

There is a plethora of information on the site, but one thing you can't quite find. A step-by-step guide as to how to use the program.

What I am trying to do at this point is to create that step-by-step instructional, based on what is available here. It is almost June 1, 2019, so I'll work with the information that is available at this point.

How would you start? After loading the program, what would be the very first thing you would do (other than run)?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: From the Beginning

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Scenario:
    You are brand new to DIYC. Your display for the past decade (or more) consists of LED strings (big box store bought) and a bunch of extensions hooking them all together.

Going through several sites, you stumble upon Carson Williams' display (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks). You are hooked! You hunt and find a site called Vixenlights.com.

There is a plethora of information on the site, but one thing you can't quite find. A step-by-step guide as to how to use the program.

What I am trying to do at this point is to create that step-by-step instructional, based on what is available here. It is almost June 1, 2019, so I'll work with the information that is available at this point.

How would you start? After loading the program, what would be the very first thing you would do (other than run)?
    I am in the process of that as well will complete by June end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful. Want to compare notes?

Initial item from the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_Z18s4q2c
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I tell people first thing. Turn OFF the program. Figure out what props you are going to control and what you want to do. Then you can take a picture of your "stage". Now turn on the program. go to the setup page and describe your props. Saving often. Next set up the preview screen. Now you can start to sequence. These steps should take a few weeks to complete.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

+1

Unless you have an idea -- a vision -- of the lights you want to have and where they'll be located, one shouldn't start doing anything else.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files, including Gerbers and DipTrace design files.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Wonderful. Want to compare notes?

Initial item from the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_Z18s4q2c
    Sure, I will share the writeup I have done. May be we can create a closed group and divide the tasks per skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I tell people first thing. Turn OFF the program. Figure out what props you are going to control and what you want to do. Then you can take a picture of your "stage". Now turn on the program. go to the setup page and describe your props. Saving often. Next set up the preview screen. Now you can start to sequence. These steps should take a few weeks to complete.
    Thatís somewhat similar to the outline I have done.

-Types of lights
    -Types of controllers of each type of lights
    - Whats suites where
    - Softwares
    - Assemblies

I do not have all the skills and may not be able to do write ups for each sections, hence thought of linking others tutorials whichever suits.

For now I do have write-ups for first 3.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always told folks that come to see my show, and ask the 'fatal question', "what do I have to do to do this myself?" (And many variations, thereof) - "turn off the computer". Take some pictures of the space you wish to decorate. Print several copies on paper that you can write on.

The first time you start to look at what you want to do, THINK BIG. Imagine what you would want at the extreme.
    Draw it out.

The second time you look at it, THINK small. Ask yourself what you would do if you only had a few bucks, but wanted to make a few things blink? Draw it out.

The third time, put both of the first two drawings on the table on either side of a new copy of the picture, and ask yourself how much more than the sparse image would you be willing to do this first year? Draw it out.

With the third drawing as your guide, ask yourself what type of lights you would want at each location? Why? RGB is wonderful in that you can put any color, anywhere, at any time. But is it necessary? Will it convey the feeling that you want to get to the viewers? LED lights are just as captivating, when thought out.

I think back to those early Carson Williams videos. 88 channels. That was it. Yet it still holds its own when it comes to being entertaining, and captivating. 15 years later! I hope we all get that kind of longevity with our shows.

FYI - I just watched Carson's video again - 3 times. Amazing!!! (11,476,997 Views. WOW!)
    Last edited by algerdes; 06-05-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^

What this guy said...

And, don't overdo. Don't buy 100's or 1000's of lights and over-saturate your space. Finally, think of the cost and time you are willing to invest, and do a reality check with yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input. This will be a full on tutorial when it is complete.
    BTW - It is nice to see the variations on the theme of "design your show - FIRST".

Keep the thoughts coming! All are welcome.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast