Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow....all I can say is Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wow....all I can say is Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    No one wants whatever boards you have dude, give it up and stop talking about whatever it is you have/are making.
    Why should he ? The forum is open to all is it not ?
    I like the fact he is pushing forward the esp32 . If he offers a sale , I will probably order a couple of them .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Why should he ? The forum is open to all is it not ?
    I like the fact he is pushing forward the esp32 . If he offers a sale , I will probably order a couple of them .
    Because no one has or wants to steal his board like the guy has been blabbing about for over a month. He can sell whatever he wants for all I care.

Post Thanks / Like

Because no one has or wants to steal his board like the guy has been blabbing about for over a month. He can sell whatever he wants for all I care.
    Care and respect . These tend to be in short supply everywhere these days .Though I would never consider stealing anything , I have in the past lost sight of these two valued traits .
    Unfortunately it appears that you have fallen victim to losing sight of both as well .
    I have been working on righting my wrongs by being more self aware and trying to keep them front and center .
    Certainly there are many Renard folks interested in what this fine fellow has to offer as he is forging a new path with plenty of potential .
    I hope he keeps pushing forward and good things come of it !

Post Thanks / Like

Show me what has been stolen

Post Thanks / Like

I've run into a few bad eggs regarding this hobby and I refuse to associate with them. There is a local display to me that I was super excited to take my wife to see, then I saw their Facebook page and now I refuse to go to their display or even watch a video online. They created a poll on their Facebook page asking if they should put out a donation box, I said that I put one out because people were leaving cash in my candy cane holder and I wanted the money to go to charity rather than a random kid take it when grabbing a candy cane. I also suggested that they make it known which charity the donations will go to, because I feel that anyone who takes donations is doing it for charity. (I was wrong) The display owner and another family member then decided to comment saying that the donations would all go in their pocket so they could buy more props and build their display bigger and that if anyone had a problem with where the money went they didn't need to donate, but they wouldn't put a sign out saying the money was going in their pocket. I said that they needed to let people know because it is kind of an unspoken rule that during the Christmas time any "donation" is viewed as going to charity of some sort. They then proceeded to tell me that a donation is a donation no matter if it goes in their pocket or not. About a week later they deleted the post.
    Just really rubbed me the wrong way.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    I've run into a few bad eggs regarding this hobby and I refuse to associate with them. There is a local display to me that I was super excited to take my wife to see, then I saw their Facebook page and now I refuse to go to their display or even watch a video online. They created a poll on their Facebook page asking if they should put out a donation box, I said that I put one out because people were leaving cash in my candy cane holder and I wanted the money to go to charity rather than a random kid take it when grabbing a candy cane. I also suggested that they make it known which charity the donations will go to, because I feel that anyone who takes donations is doing it for charity. (I was wrong) The display owner and another family member then decided to comment saying that the donations would all go in their pocket so they could buy more props and build their display bigger and that if anyone had a problem with where the money went they didn't need to donate, but they wouldn't put a sign out saying the money was going in their pocket. I said that they needed to let people know because it is kind of an unspoken rule that during the Christmas time any "donation" is viewed as going to charity of some sort. They then proceeded to tell me that a donation is a donation no matter if it goes in their pocket or not. About a week later they deleted the post.
    Just really rubbed me the wrong way.
    Those people are very big D words. In 2107 I only raised just over $100, but every red cent went to my chosen charity. I had one guy in 2016 make a donation to the charity, but then also gave me a $100 donation to improve the mega tree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dim bulb View Post
    Those people are very big D words. In 2107 I only raised just over $100, but every red cent went to my chosen charity. I had one guy in 2016 make a donation to the charity, but then also gave me a $100 donation to improve the mega tree.
    I give 100% to a local no kill animal shelter. I would put up my display even if zero people came to watch it so I don't need to take any money from anyone. But if my display can bring in donations for a charity then why not raise some money for a good cause. But yea some people are just shit and take advantage of people with kind hearts.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

Yup it is all about the almighty $$$. That is the almighty $ in their pocket. That is why they don't care if someone uses fpp to make a device that isn't as cost effective but when the person who comes along that wants to offer people stuff at a decent savings then it is all stop as I am posing a threat.
    I've tried to stay out of the fray, but this part just made me laugh. I've spent literally thousands of hours developing FPP over the past 6 years, for free. At what I charge per-hour for custom programming, that would be at least a couple hundred thousand dollars. FPP was not created to put money in anybody's pocket and neither were the BBB boards that Dan created. A lot of users buy the PiCap because they know that part of the money is going to help further FPP development. A lot of people buy Dan's boards for the same reason. You are the person who came along and decided that you could make a profit from someone else's hard work by undercutting on price and not donating back to help with FPP development costs. You're a (non-expletive deleted) and now you are taking the software that Dan and I have spent thousands of hours developing and you are copying it, renaming it, and taking out references to FalconChristmas. If you wanted to make a work-around to let people use your board with 1000+ pixels per port, there would have been much simpler ways, but you decided to take the drastic measure and fork our software. Due to the GPL, it isn't technically stealing as some have said, I will admit that. The GPL allows people like you to take the work that others have done and do what you are doing as long as you retain our original copyright info and distribute source code for anything you distribute. The situation does show your character though, and I'm glad your true colors are showing through with this. Your comments saying that we have violated the GPL by limiting hardware that is fully functional with FPP is incorrect. The source is out there, you can do with it what you want, you can comment out those lines of code and compile it yourself if you want full functionality on your system. What you are trying to do though is to make a buck off of our hard work and that is why you are unhappy with the fact that we have added the hardware detection logic because it threatened to take away your new-found cash cow.

Alas, I've wasted enough time commenting here, so I'll go back to something more productive....

Chris / CaptainMurdoch
    Last edited by CaptainMurdoch; 05-16-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: non-expletive name calling removed after opinion changed due to issue resolution

Post Thanks / Like

Crap like this is why I am not on any of the forums much anymore and why I have left certain Facebook pages. To many people arguing over crap that sucks the fum out of what we do.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this thread is allowed to stay open as it is important for the community to know the facts. Also we (FPP team) have been slandered in so many ways by Jeremy.

For one, we took nothing away from his boards. All his boards work with version 2.6 which came out only weeks ago so it is fairly new software. He could have continued to use that. We made some changes in our latest 2.7 image which "Limited" the number of pixels and took away some features that were added a month ago (OLED display and such). It is not mandatory to update the boards he had in the field to 2.7. Do we need to provide unlimited updates to support his boards?

The next version 3.0 will now have a new license. You will not legally be able to alter one line of code and distribute it. If you are a DIY'er and want to modify it for your own use or even others for non-profit we have no problem with that as that is our goal and always has been, to provide a great platform for DIY'ers and hobbiest to play and control their shows. Historically many have made boards for FPP and we welcomed them to use FPP. Past developers were considerate and worked with us by contacting us and talking with us. they did not have the attitude "It is Open Source and they cannot stop me I will do whatever I want". Stated publicly a few times.

But if you want to open a store and sell a clone of a board FPP team makes for 5.00 cheaper to the same group of users, in a groups we helped create and other groups we directly created and claim you are offering a selfless service for the better of the community that is a different story. How does that benefit the community.

Pretty rude to treat the exact people that have helped make your product even viable both on the hardware and software side with such disdain.

Just sayin.
    David Pitts
    PixelController, LLC
    PixelController.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast