Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wow....all I can say is Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wow....all I can say is Wow.

"Pretty rude to treat the exact people that have helped make your product even viable both on the hardware and software side with such disdain."

That is it in a nut shell for me. He was told on this forum several times "just because you can don't mean you should ".

I really hate that all this has happened but I am very happy that FPP will remain out there for us little guys to use to make blinky flashy in the DIY world.

Who am I, I'm just a nobody with an opinion. Thanks to all of you who donate all the time, effort and knowledge to make the magic happen. My best to you, and please don't stop what you do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpitts View Post
    I hope this thread is allowed to stay open as it is important for the community to know the facts. Also we (FPP team) have been slandered in so many ways by Jeremy.
    David,

I applaud you and your efforts. All other law abiding suppliers to our hobby have been slandered by Jeremy as well. I have called him out on it in the past and will continue to do so. I'm happy you too have called out his behavior.

Post Thanks / Like

Long ago I came on board with this stuff to do one thing ... make lights blink and people of all ages smile.

I too left groups on various sites (e.g., Facebook) because of "$$$$$ $$$$$ $$$$$" being the motivation of quite a few. Copying someone else's work may be legally OK, but in a group such as this - it is totally wrong!!!

Thank you to the real developers of boards, software, firmware, and all the other stuff that goes into making this hobby what it is. I will continue to support you in any way I can. As for those that do what we are seeing - and it goes back much earlier than the current example - don't expect to see any of my scarce funds or any recommendations to the new folks that us old timers are helping get started.

One thing to think about - If someone takes an item, copies it, then sells it for less than the one it was copied from - how long do you think there will be anything to copy? Or worse yet, even if you have the skills to create - how long will it be before someone does the same to you?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

don't let one bad egg take your spirit down.

i hope you know how much and how many people enjoy, depend on, and appreciate your work!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    I've tried to stay out of the fray, but this part just made me laugh. I've spent literally thousands of hours developing FPP over the past 6 years, for free. At what I charge per-hour for custom programming, that would be at least a couple hundred thousand dollars. FPP was not created to put money in anybody's pocket and neither were the BBB boards that Dan created. A lot of users buy the PiCap because they know that part of the money is going to help further FPP development. A lot of people buy Dan's boards for the same reason. You are the person who came along and decided that you could make a profit from someone else's hard work by undercutting on price and not donating back to help with FPP development costs. You're a leach and now you are taking the software that Dan and I have spent thousands of hours developing and you are copying it, renaming it, and taking out references to FalconChristmas. If you wanted to make a work-around to let people use your board with 1000+ pixels per port, there would have been much simpler ways, but you decided to take the drastic measure and fork our software. Due to the GPL, it isn't technically stealing as some have said, I will admit that. The GPL allows people like you to take the work that others have done and do what you are doing as long as you retain our original copyright info and distribute source code for anything you distribute. The situation does show your character though, and I'm glad your true colors are showing through with this. Your comments saying that we have violated the GPL by limiting hardware that is fully functional with FPP is incorrect. The source is out there, you can do with it what you want, you can comment out those lines of code and compile it yourself if you want full functionality on your system. What you are trying to do though is to make a buck off of our hard work and that is why you are unhappy with the fact that we have added the hardware detection logic because it threatened to take away your new-found cash cow.

Alas, I've wasted enough time commenting here, so I'll go back to something more productive....

Chris / CaptainMurdoch

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of us that use the FPP and appreciate the work that has gone into it. We understand the spirit in which many people strive to make this hobby a pleasure to be a part of. The entire Falcon team has been a driving force in this hobby and I for one pray you continue to help us make our shows the best we can make them.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

This situation appears to be resolved. Rather than providing an update in my own words, here's a link to David's forum post if you haven't seen it already: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-I-am-so-sorry

I'm glad that we were able to come to a resolution. it does open our eyes a bit on some things so we may have some followup actions, but for now, we can go back to our regularly scheduled coding.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to say thanks to the FPP team for all the work they do. It is much appreciated by myself. I use FPP, Davidís Falcon F16V3, F48, controllers, distro boards and one of Joe Hinkleís Hinkspix16ís and Holiday Coro items. I do this to make the lights blink,change colors and look cool. And to make people happy at Christmas time. I first did this 15+ years ago because it looked cool in A/C lights. Now it looks really cool in pixels. Thanks again for all you do so we can make our lights go blinky blinky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123