Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow....all I can say is Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow....all I can say is Wow.

I can't believe someone would do this to the group that has contributed so much to the hobby and ask so little in return just for a quick buck.
    I know this is the result of the hobby exploding the way it has over the past couple years and everyone wanting to "cash in" to make a quick buck, but anyone who is true to the hobby and respects the hard work others have contributed with little or no compensation needs to step up and ensure they spend their money wisely. Saving a few bucks at the expense of isolating and possibly driving away those who have given so freely is just wrong.
    fpp.PNG
    Taken from the Xlights official Support page on facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/xLig...m-sDXUwsuVQ9vE
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wow....all I can say is Wow.

Terrible!
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the almighhty $$$ strikes again!!!
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Does not surprise me at all

Post Thanks / Like

I knew from Jeremy's attitude that he has no respect for the work that others have done. He wants to make money from lighting enthusiasts without learning how to write the software or design the hardware. It's him in particular that made me to decide to not share the wireless Renard Controller (based on the ESP32) I just finished. I don't mind sharing my work with people who run light shows but I won't let someone use me to make a profit.

A couple of days ago I received 1 of Dan's Pocket Beagle F8-PB and 2 of his Beaglebone F8-B+ controllers. The quality is excellent and I was impressed by the layout and the effort he put into their design. I would highly recommend supporting the designers and developers who create original products over anyone who copies or clones them for a quick buck.

Post Thanks / Like

UGH.

How I hate to see this. Anything that stifles creativity is bad.
    I just hope no one buys anything from him.
    Its interesting what I've also seen in the pixel stick arena.
    I post all of my design info in the DIYC wiki and answer numerous questions of folks who want to create their own versions.
    THAT is the way this hobby has moved on. NOT by stealing. If something is forked and no value add is there, what a waste.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup it is all about the almighty $$$. That is the almighty $ in their pocket. That is why they don't care if someone uses fpp to make a device that isn't as cost effective but when the person who comes along that wants to offer people stuff at a decent savings then it is all stop as I am posing a threat.

FYI, I stopped selling my BBB boards upon request from them and I told them I'd only be sending them out to those who had already paid. No more words were said. That apparently wasn't good enough since they decided to introduce some code to try to reduce functionality of them. So I said okay that is pretty shitty but whatever I'll offer a fix for those people. But then when looking through the code I find their intention is to extort money out of those people in order to "unlock" the restrictions. So that's when I said okay have it that way. I forked the code and removed the restriction, now it is back to properly being open source per the license. Something which they were in violation against by attempting to restrict my use of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcamron View Post
    . It's him in particular that made me to decide to not share the wireless Renard Controller (based on the ESP32) I just finished.
    No one wants whatever boards you have dude, give it up and stop talking about whatever it is you have/are making.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    UGH.

How I hate to see this. Anything that stifles creativity is bad.
    I just hope no one buys anything from him.
    Its interesting what I've also seen in the pixel stick arena.
    I post all of my design info in the DIYC wiki and answer numerous questions of folks who want to create their own versions.
    THAT is the way this hobby has moved on. NOT by stealing. If something is forked and no value add is there, what a waste.
    Nothing has been stolen. They were actually the ones in violation of something. All I did was enable the ability for the like dozen of people who have my board to be able to use them and not be extorted for money to be able to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

I've still been waiting for some time now for someone to tell me how my making a board that uses FPP is different than one of the multiple other people who have in the past or still do. Also how is this any different than the many people out there who makes sequences for an open source sequencing software and then sell them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast