Thread: Can you have 2 different versions of Vixen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you have 2 different versions of Vixen?

I was trying to revisit a sequence I did in 2016, but Vixen DB#829 will not open it. The only message I get is "error trying to open file". It does say it has converted it from 4 to 5, 5 to 6, and 6 to 7, then the error.

I want to try open it in v3.2 to see if it will open, but I don't want to mess ANYTHING up that I currently have through the current DB. Is it possible to have two different version of Vixen on the same computer without messing anything up?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you have 2 different versions of Vixen?

Yes you can. But if you cross major versions (e.g. 3.5 to 3.6) you'll need to have a profile that corresponds with each version. Whatever you do, do not just install an older version of vixen and run it with your current profile. So you're best off setting yourself up with some safeguards before just installing the older versions.

It's best to start by using the profile manager screen and setting it to ask you for a profile every time. This way you can make sure you're using the correct profile for the version you're using. Then set up multiple profiles. Name them to include the vixen version number, or the timeframe when it was current, or something so that you can correlate the profile with the software version.

Then you can safely install an older version. You'll probably want to install it into a new folder. so during the installation process, add the version number to the location folder. Something like "c:\Program Files\Vixen 3.5.2" Then after installation, browse to that folder and add a shortcut to the VixenApplication.exe file in that folder. Name the shortcut with the version number so you can keep them straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you have 2 different versions of Vixen?

Outstanding!

Thanks, Jon!