Thread: Click PLC as a controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Click PLC as a controller

Is there currently any way to interface to a Click Ethernet PLC as a controller? I have been using the drum function for my light show and I would really like to be able to use some real software to design and sync up the music. It's Modbus TCP and I think it's could be as simple as establishing the connection and turning on and off registers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Click PLC as a controller

Quote Originally Posted by Starsman20 View Post
    Is there currently any way to interface to a Click Ethernet PLC as a controller? I have been using the drum function for my light show and I would really like to be able to use some real software to design and sync up the music. It's Modbus TCP and I think it's could be as simple as establishing the connection and turning on and off registers.
    My knowledge of this is now 6 years old as I switched entirely to raspberry pi's but I used to use a Click PLC to control audio cue's on multiple PC's using the serial port while using the input/output modules to control a haunted house. I would imagine you could write some ladder logic that would read the serial port and cycle some outputs. I'm not sure that you could get the Renard protocol decoded on a click but all sequencers can output straight serial commands. You will not be able to run this stand alone on the click though (you will need a running sequencer or falcon software running on your hardware of choice like a pi or bbb).

My ultimate suggestion would be sell the click and purchase a more standard controller as you will undoubtedly continue to hit roadblocks with the click... It was meant for industrial control and cannot be trusted to maintain its timing as timing changes depending on the length of the program running on it. In a factory it can wait an extra 200ms for something to happen, in sequencing world that will be unusable. I doubt that anyone would want to write a modbus plugin specifically, but modbus is a serial protocol so you could program the sequencer to send out the necessary bytes in the correct order... But I think you would tire of programming that after 5 seconds of a sequence.
    Last edited by jcross; 05-10-2019 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Didn't notice that this was in the Vixen forum so removed my comment about not knowing the sequencer used
    Jason C

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Click PLC as a controller

Thanks. I just happened to have a bunch of the clicks laying around. I've gone with a ss24 and a PX1 renard to start with.