Thread: Options for importing servo positions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Options for importing servo positions

I have a Halloween project in mind that would need to control 4 servos. It is a 3-axis skull with mouth.

Right now I use the IMU from my phone to create motions that I feed into an Arduino to move the head real-time as I move my head.

So my question is. If I have a 30sec song that I am recording motions for, is there a way to import those different servo values into Xlights?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Options for importing servo positions

No solution for you but I am interested in how you are doing the real-time phone-Arduino-servos linkup.
    Details please...
    What kind of phone? Apple or Android?
    What software is on the phone? Side-loaded?
    What is the connection from the phone to the Arduino? Hardwire? WiFi? BT?
    What software is on the Arduino? Your custom sketch?
    Which Arduino?
    What is the connection from the Arduino to the servos? direct wire PWM?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Options for importing servo positions

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    No solution for you but I am interested in how you are doing the real-time phone-Arduino-servos linkup.
    Details please...
    What kind of phone? Apple or Android?
    What software is on the phone? Side-loaded?
    What is the connection from the phone to the Arduino? Hardwire? WiFi? BT?
    What software is on the Arduino? Your custom sketch?
    Which Arduino?
    What is the connection from the Arduino to the servos? direct wire PWM?
    I was planning on writing something up when it got more mature and I made sure that everything was working, but here is the state of things for anyone who cares. It is a little convoluted right now, but it seems to work.

There is an app that can run on an Android phone that is called FreePIE IMU. It is an .apk install, but no root is needed.

That app can read the phone's IMU and can transmit the data. I send the data over UDP to my laptop.

On my laptop I am running an opensource project called open track (https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack). This app is designed to take different kinds of inputs like video game controllers, accelerometers, etc., and repackage it for video games. Some of the examples are people using this to allow them to look around in the game by moving their head.

That software takes the info, filters, smooths, and packages it up. I then dump the output into a python script (told you it was convoluted) real time.

The python script converts the yaw/pitch/roll data into a custom packet I send over serial to my Arduino. My sketch on the Arduino takes the packets, converts it into the values for ranges I am allowing for the different individual servos.

Lastly, I send out the values via I2C to an I2C to PWM board to control the three servos.

So right now I put my phone on my head and roughly control a 3-axis skull in real time.

That make sense on any level?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]