Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BTA06-600B with Renard SSrhc and SSR8 Boards?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BTA06-600B with Renard SSrhc and SSR8 Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by wilmar View Post
    Ok have to ask because I am using arduinos and sainsmart 8 channel ssr,s wich are zero cross I believe and would like to get the dimming function at some point . I’m new to the hobby and still learning some of this language?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the sainsmart ssrs and they ARE zero cross. You can replace the relays on them but they're a bit expensive and you might as well just get a Renard or something like that. Wayne J sells the kits and it was a great experience making it. Very easy. It also has dimming. If you want to skip all the problems as I faced, I'd do that. But if you really want to fully build it, you can resolder new relays that have no zero cross. And don't forget the zero cross detector as I did :p
    Last edited by Spankyty; 04-25-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: i made an oops with the zero cross
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spankyty View Post
    I have the sainsmart ssrs and they are not zero cross. You can replace the relays on them but they're a bit expensive and you might as well just get a Renard or something like that. Wayne J sells the kits and it was a great experience making it. Very easy. It also has the dimming. If you want to skip all the problems like I faced, I'd do that. But if you really want to fully build it, you can resolder new relays that have zero cross. And don't forget the zero cross detector like I did :p
    Thanks for the tip ! How would that affect my vixen 3 set up ? Would I have to change my set up or settings?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip ! How would that affect my vixen 3 set up ? Would I have to change my set up or settings?

No, you just need to change the Arduino code. It allows you to use all the other effects under basic lighting instead of just set level. Another thing I noticed helped was the FTDI RS232 breakout. If you get that, then yes you need to change the generic serial com port to the adapter in Vixen but that's ez.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    Don't worry about the triacs. The BTA06-600BW work great with LEDs and I send them with my kits on occasion.
    Would like to get more info on the kits you speak of please. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

WARNING: Relays that have a "built in" zero cross circuit are NOT dimmable. The Zero cross DETECTOR we us in the controllers allows us to be "in sync" with the AC line so we can delay the trigger signal. The Zero Cross circuit built into the relays is designed to prevent that delay from triggering the triac.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Would like to get more info on the kits you speak of please. Thanks

The SS24 would probably cost the same amount or even LESS than if you replaced just 8 or 16 of the SSR's on your board for dimming. Keep in mind the relays you would need for dimming are the G3MB-202PL which are easily $5 each. Then you have to risk breaking the board while replacing them. With the kit, you can have 24 channels with dimming which is more than what you'd get replacing those relays. It also comes with a nice enclosure. That's another thing. You would need to encase your build which is even more money... It's also 100000x less messy wiring! I don't want to discourage you from making your own light controller though. This is just how I thought of it. I'm a cheap person so the kit was the best option. The SS24 is something you will definitely not regret spending money on!

Here are the kits you can buy, just send him a message about the SS24
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-Now-Available
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help and info got to learn how to solder first I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily. If you watch the forums you will see various pre-built/used Renard controllers for sale. They will often with in an enclosure and pigtails and will usually cost less than the new kit. Perhaps the biggest benefit is that you know that they already work.

Jimboha

PS That's how I got most of mine... In fact, it looks like I got too many and I myself might have some available. I do know I had two SS24's (one with pigtails, one without) that I did not use this year. I'm trying to decide how many 'spares' I need to keep.
    Springville, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

The Renard board is such good quality and the solder pads are big for beginners. I watched 1 video on YouTube to learn how to solder. I had a cheap soldering iron too $15.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimboha View Post
    Not necessarily. If you watch the forums you will see various pre-built/used Renard controllers for sale. They will often with in an enclosure and pigtails and will usually cost less than the new kit. Perhaps the biggest benefit is that you know that they already work.

Jimboha

PS That's how I got most of mine... In fact, it looks like I got too many and I myself might have some available. I do know I had two SS24's (one with pigtails, one without) that I did not use this year. I'm trying to decide how many 'spares' I need to keep.
    That is true you can even find them for much less and built for you on here.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast