Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best pixels for reliability

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best pixels for reliability

Hi. New to the diy christmas stuff (well, lurker for a few years, but about time to actually order some stuff), but not electronics/microcontrollers/networks/software development/etc etc

What I'm curious about is what pixels are people having the best reliability with? I think I'd like to put up some pixels permanently mounted, and I'm in the PNW, where it rains basically every day from October to April. Of course they'd be under the eave, and generally out of the weather, but water seems to be the biggest killer of pixels from reading, and there's no shortage of it falling from the sky here. Will also be ordering for a friend in Canada, where it's much colder all winter, but probably less prone to water ingression that it would be here (snow doesn't really have the problem of capillary action ), but even if he doesn't permanently mount them, they'd probably go up in September and come down in March (pretty typical light up and down schedule in most of Canada), so still potential for a lot of rain exposure.

Will probably be ordering from Ray Wu (whom I've know about for years from reading this forum), or maybe Scottled, as I was reading some threads here, and they seem to be getting good recommendations (and better prices).

I see some people mount pixels in various rails with just the bare LED sticking out - how do these look overall compared to pixels with C9 diffusers on them? Does anyone use the opaque white diffusers, or generally the faceted clear diffusers?
    Any advantage to the bullet style strips with the add on diffusers and bases, vs just getting the ones that come with the diffusers and bases from the get go?

Anyone doing any RGBW pixels? Pros/cons? Does the ESPixelStick support the TM1814 controller used in RGBW pixels? Other controllers? Software hacks to get it working?
    Looks like FastLED supports TM1804 - is that just the 3 channel version of the TM1814?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best pixels for reliability

Unfortunately the race to price rock bottom means pretty much any pixel from China has the same reliability: poor. Pixels I bought 5 years ago are way better than what I've got the past few years.

Regarding RGBW pixels, doesn't matter so much if the controller supports it but if your sequencer does. To your controller it's just another channel of data. As longs as it speaks the protocol the controller will be good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [url]www.billporter.info[/url]
    2014 Christmas: 1 Channel; a new house and a crazy plan.
    2015 [url="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3WRF86Nfv099UZahf___A7i"]Halloween: 2500 Channels;[/url] 3 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3VVfgwM0nxDebdwI__rQZ9Z"]Christmas: 4500 Channels[/URL]; 6 songs. Custom Wifi Pixel/Renard Controllers
    2016 [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3UKHXDhmKhdheaJBOFgJ5IL"]Halloween: 6500 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnQkTJSld3Uk21zJ3QHeHEMe1XzJOTSr"]Christmas: 11,000 Channels;[/URL] 4 songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Had to edit my post because I dont know how to read instructions!!

I just got a bunch from ScottLED. Thought there were a bunch of defective ones but turns out it was my settings and only one string with a single pixel that was actually defective out of the entire 1000+ shipment! There was some miscommunication on their end with lengths but they went well beyond my expectations on making it right! I'm 110% certain they would correct any issues with their products if there even are any!
    Last edited by Executive8468; 05-19-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any effect of the tariffs hitting these orders? I was getting ready to order, and now this came up...

Post Thanks / Like

Following along with the thoughts of this thread, I have to ask...

Is there ANYONE actually making pixels here in the States?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not. Labor cost is high in the US, facility costs are high, and the market is smaller. Chinese quality is the same as quality elsewhere—it’s a mixed bag. Some manufacturers are excellent and others are junk. The trick is to find the quality manufacturers. But even then, quality control is a matter of statistics. 100% good pixels is impossible, and there’s variance of pixel life across the different components. I think I lost maybe 5 pixels out of 3,000 pixels on my tree this year. That’s an acceptable failure rate for me. I had no losses on the other props this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so much the quality issue, but the upcoming bump in cost, and availability because of it. Tariff time, whether we want it or not. Perhaps we might see someone producing some in the states if the price gets high enough. But who wants to pay that cost?

BTW - Quality of pixels has taken a turn for the worse. I lost very few from the first year of purchases, and down through the years we have found more each year. Last year I was replacing them at a rate that would get anyone wondering. Considering the size of our displays, and their growth, this becomes a concern. A big concern.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Not so much the quality issue, but the upcoming bump in cost, and availability because of it. Tariff time, whether we want it or not. Perhaps we might see someone producing some in the states if the price gets high enough. But who wants to pay that cost?
    So you are saying the few thousand brand new pixels I still have sitting in my garage are now worth more than what I paid for them? Hmmmm...... do I really need that new tree this year???

Post Thanks / Like

^^Your old pixels are crap. But I’ll do you a favor and take them off your hands for free.

I’ve had no losses on my most recent orders. The tree is where I’ve had all my failures. It might simply be that those pixels get banged around more than the other props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMurdoch View Post
    So you are saying the few thousand brand new pixels I still have sitting in my garage are now worth more than what I paid for them? Hmmmm...... do I really need that new tree this year???
    Cap gonna become a pixel dealer standing on a street corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast