Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESP-01 to RS485 Renard SS24 Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESP-01 to RS485 Renard SS24 Question

I just saw this, but, the SS24 power supply is about topped out at max load of the board.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    I just saw this, but, the SS24 power supply is about topped out at max load of the board.
    Wayne,

Is there a replacement transformer and V-Reg upgrade that would provide the extra power demanded by the ESP boards?
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-conten...te-300x107.png
    144 Renard SS Channels and Counting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    I will have to agree w/this, I have found that 2 of my SS24s will run the RenardESP fine, while the other 2 don't, thought it was just interference as one was inside my megatree (32 AC strands) and the other's line of site to the AP was through the Megatree also, but after learning they worked fine if I powered them from an external 5v wallwart, it was probably a lack of power instead.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganLights View Post
    Wayne,

Is there a replacement transformer and V-Reg upgrade that would provide the extra power demanded by the ESP boards?
    I have not looked for anything as the board was never designed to power other units.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have other controllers, such as the SS8 or SS16, you may can use one of those as they have less channels and will have more current available. The SS8 would be the best to use, but a separate power supply is your most reliable bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, simple math says a lot. If each MOC3023 chip on the board will use about 6ma, that's 144ma just to fire the optocouplers when all 24 channels are on. The board's oscillator will eat up about 40-50ma all by itself. Put those together, and you're up around 200ma. already. Subtract that from the 300ma that the transformer can provide, and you have at best, 100ma. The ESP needs 200-250ma in normal operating mode -- there's just not enough juice left for it and what'll likely happen is that when the controller is powered up and no channels are firing, the ESP may very well connect. But when those channels suddenly have a lot of activity, the ESP gets starved for current, and it will drop the connection to the AP. But the real trouble is -- once it drops its connection, it won't search to reconnect. It just gives up and suddenly you have a dead spot in your show.

I've used some small power bucks, 120vac to 3.3vdc @450ma in some of my controllers to help the power situation. It's easy to tap off the A/C line in, and covering the power buck with shrink tube for insulation, they've come in really handy for putting an ESP on a controller that doesn't provide enough current for add-on devices. The power bucks are cheap -- usually less than $2.50 apiece. The caveat is that the bucks are usually spec'ed only down to 0C, which is 32F. If you live in an area that has freezing temps at night, you'll need to provide some additional heat to keep the power bucks from dropping out because the the temperature. (I live in Minnesnowda.... I know about these things.... I use C7 bulbs to provide heat inside the controller box near the power buck to keep it in the operating temperature range...)

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12