Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Clinton Twp. Michigan
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    I looking at getting a couple of pixel extender for a pixel tree I was wondering if a Renard 4 output controller would be another option. Do the work the same
    Last edited by AJVenti; 04-01-2019 at 10:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hudson MA
    Posts
    3,805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    no, they are not the same thing. the renard controller takes in renard protocol data and outputs light data. the extenders simply replicates the digital data on the rs485 input lines.


    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    Quote Originally Posted by AJVenti View Post
    I looking at getting a couple of pixel extender for a pixel tree I was wondering if a Renard 4 output controller would be another option. Do the work the same
    Are you talking about Ron's 4 output controller from the Renard store?
    If so, it would be a great option. Each output is capable of 682 pixels, so 4 universes per output.
    It is an E1.31 controller and uses Multicast.
    Phil

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lombard, IL
    Posts
    652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    Another option is the E1.31 Bridge from DIYLEDExpress. I currently us three of them in my display. They have 6 outputs that can output to Renard or DMX and with the Pixel Extender drive Pixels. Up to 12 Universes Mulxicast or Unicast.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Clinton Twp. Michigan
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    I think I real got it wrong. I have a E3.31 diyledexpress bridge. I also have a pixel extender. I was just think that I might get one of Ron’s 4 output controller to us on a pixel tree.i was looking for more pixel extenders and could not find them I kits just pcb

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    303
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    Quote Originally Posted by AJVenti View Post
    I think I real got it wrong. I have a E3.31 diyledexpress bridge. I also have a pixel extender. I was just think that I might get one of Ron’s 4 output controller to us on a pixel tree.i was looking for more pixel extenders and could not find them I kits just pcb
    I have 2 of Ron's 4 output controllers and used one in my show last year. It was easy to setup and I had no problems with it at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    Quote Originally Posted by dcamron View Post
    I have 2 of Ron's 4 output controllers and used one in my show last year. It was easy to setup and I had no problems with it at all.
    Awesome to hear! I bought 2 for this years' show and looking forward to doin some testing once my pixels show up.
    I had posed a question about temperature, but didn't gt any responses because the board is so new.
    How does it perform in the cold? Any experiences with it below freezing and any issues?
    I think it will be fine, just curious.
    Phil

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    I asked the temp question also to dean, as it gets a little cold here in Edmonton Alberta. And I was told it should be fine but worse case put a c7 bulb in the case to add a little warmth. but I don't think I will need to add a c7 bulb because I'm adding them into my power supply boxs and it should be warm enough with he power supplies.

    I had bought 1 before xmas but never got it set up, but did get to play around with it some in the house on a extra string of lights. It was super easy to get working even after my problem of not having the Ethernet cable seated all the way, which was a operator problem not the boards.
    and I like the size so much and the ability to put them anywhere I bought 3 more. And I also just finished designing a 3d printable holder for them, so I can't wait for this coming season.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    Quote Originally Posted by Jyman View Post
    I asked the temp question also to dean, as it gets a little cold here in Edmonton Alberta. And I was told it should be fine but worse case put a c7 bulb in the case to add a little warmth. but I don't think I will need to add a c7 bulb because I'm adding them into my power supply boxs and it should be warm enough with he power supplies.

    I had bought 1 before xmas but never got it set up, but did get to play around with it some in the house on a extra string of lights. It was super easy to get working even after my problem of not having the Ethernet cable seated all the way, which was a operator problem not the boards.
    and I like the size so much and the ability to put them anywhere I bought 3 more. And I also just finished designing a 3d printable holder for them, so I can't wait for this coming season.
    Good stuff! I made a 3d printed case for it also. Love the size and for 26US and 16 universes of pixels it is hard to beat.

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Phil

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Renard 4 output controller vs pixel extenders

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    Good stuff! I made a 3d printed case for it also. Love the size and for 26US and 16 universes of pixels it is hard to beat.
    Awesome, well I would very much be interested in seeing the case you designed.
    Oh I totally agree it's a good price for what you get. I just wish the USD to Canadian dollar exchange was better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •