Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating Groups and other.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creating Groups and other.

A couple of questions for people in the know.

Is there an easier way to create groups. I am trying to add 100 elements that are 10 pixels each. Creating the 100 is easy, patching is easy, but trying to create the 100 groups of 10 is a nightmare plus it seems to take a while to even click on the element at the moment.

Also, is it possible to add "levels deep" or possibly "strings" to some of the effects like wipe? Or have a effect filter down the group to save pasting. Basically if I have 100 vertical elements that I wish to wipe down/up at the same time. The only way I can see to do that (except for applying the wipe 100 times) is to have them drawn in separate Previews with them all drawn the same horizontal position as well as the normal yard preview and have groups set up for each.

Cheers

Edit. I have tried Putting the 10 of the 100 elements into two separate previews each preview linked to a separate group. (but the same element) One preview with them horizontally and one preview as part of the display. That appears to be a no go as when I try and do a wipe down over a group of the mega tree and the 10 drawn on the main preview as how they would be set up, it seems to revert to the horizontally drawn picture. Same for other effects, they do not treat the 10 as part of the group in the main preview. Is there a way to link groups on the sequencer to specific previews?
    Last edited by bretheron; 04-15-2019 at 11:21 PM. Reason: I have been experimenting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creating Groups and other.

There is a group create that allows you to make groups multiple levels deep with as many elements you want in a single operation.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I can add a Generic numbered group, but that is only a single one. I can "add multiple" but that is just single items or items to a selected item, it does not seem to add to all even if they are highlighted. I may be completely missing something with it though. I did manage to realize that I could use the icicles as a group create and still just draw it from the break up of the group the way that I wish.

What I am trying to accomplish for the 100 elements is short pixel stakes spread across the yard as basically a 3D matrix. I have no idea if it will look any good but I thought I could do waves and other effects. I was hoping to be able to sequence from a view different view points - as viewed from the road - aerial view - side view, so that the stakes could be part of the full display and/or their own single element and sub groups of that element. My current work around is to just draw them as 10 vertical rows of 10 and treat them as a feature and not part of a larger group and then sub group the crap out them to try and achieve some other effects without have to do it by a single element. I could I suppose use the top two or three pixels to achieve any sort of aerial effects and use the bottom pixels for the horizontal.

I think my idea of trying to use different previews and view points of the same element was very wishful thinking. Maybe there is a possibility of having two elements with the same properties (just named differently so they can be treated as unique) connected to the same patch points so that they can be use as different view points.

Post Thanks / Like

on add multiple, buried in the menus is a mechanism too create multiple nested groups using a custom string. You are in the right place. Experiment with increasing the number of items and the number of levels.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.

Post Thanks / Like

grouping.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    on add multiple, buried in the menus is a mechanism too create multiple nested groups using a custom string. You are in the right place. Experiment with increasing the number of items and the number of levels.
    I have to be missing something.

Post Thanks / Like

Try using the Grid wizard. You can get a top level group that contains 100 groups with 10 nodes in each.

Stakes.PNG

Also don't forget the chase when you want to do wipe like effects in which you want all of them to move up and down across the individual nodes together. It has the level options to target individual chases on each stake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Try using the Grid wizard. You can get a top level group that contains 100 groups with 10 nodes in each.

Also don't forget the chase when you want to do wipe like effects in which you want all of them to move up and down across the individual nodes together. It has the level options to target individual chases on each stake.
    Yep, that is similar to what I did with the icicles. As a group set up you can pretty much use any of the templates, it just took me a bit to remember that I could break it up in the preview and not have to draw it as a grid / icicle etc.

I use chase a lot and I have never been able to achieve it so that it does a chase on each individual element line at the same time with only placing the one effect over the group and playing with the levels. The way I see the chase working is that it filters down the group to different levels. I am sure I could achieve it but I thought I would have to add more groups, a group with all the bottom pixels then a group with all the 2nd pixels etc. I have just been copy/pasting the chase per element and reversing the direction for verticals that are physically wired the other way.

Is there a possibility to allow different previews for elements - or - two elements on the same patching? I can achieve everything that I wish to do, it would just save a lot of time when sequencing with trying to mimic some standard effects.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some work that I have been experimenting with some options for better grouping. As part of that I made some changes to provide more features in the chase and spin that would likely help with what you are doing. I can probably port that portion out of the larger experimental work and make that available. It would give you that ability to chase all 100 stakes concurrently with one chase at the top level group.

You can have more than one preview that an element is in, but I am not sure how that will help you achieve different effects. Can you expand how how you think that might help? When elements are in more than one preview and you use location based effect, you run into conflicts as to which preview controls the locations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    You can have more than one preview that an element is in, but I am not sure how that will help you achieve different effects. Can you expand how you think that might help? When elements are in more than one preview and you use location based effect, you run into conflicts as to which preview controls the locations.

I have set up the same elements in different previews and discovered the conflict that happens. Last drawn wins apparently.

As for the effects... These are predominantly location based effects and effects that I would like to do where view point would not matter.
    I can use a broken up top down view to stack effects like Pinwheel/shockwave for a flat effect or even slight adjustments on each level for a 3d version of the pinwheel etc. Side view I can use standard effects easily like wipe. Butterfly I think would look cool if I put the same effect on all 10 groups of verticals. (Only one set drawn currently drawn). This is where a paste that trickles down the group would come in handy.
    aerial.jpg
    Standard view would be used for grouping with other elements (mega tree/ Arches etc) and incorporating into the whole display.
    normal.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bretheron View Post
    grouping.JPG

I have to be missing something.
    Press the little green button (to the left of the red button). It will add a group / level to the depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast