Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light around windows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Light around windows

Hello people!

Im seeing a ton of shows, which has outlined the windows on the house, and it looks awsome... but but but..

Is it possible to make some kind of frame, which can bet set up in a regular house, without screwing anything into the brick wall? :o

I would surely like to copy it, but dont really want to mess with the walls, or frames of the window?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Light around windows

I went through this last year trying to figure out a way to hang the lights around the windows. I finally made my frames for my C9 Leds out of 1/2 pvc. I then made some brackets out of some metal brackets that I attach to the little grove that I had over the siding of the house.

I was worried that the weight of the frames would put to much weight on the brackets resulting in the lip that I used to hang them from to start to give out. They never did since I had multiple brackets per frame to even out the pressure any given bracket had on it. Worked very nice.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kev7274 View Post
    I went through this last year trying to figure out a way to hang the lights around the windows. I finally made my frames for my C9 Leds out of 1/2 pvc. I then made some brackets out of some metal brackets that I attach to the little grove that I had over the siding of the house.

I was worried that the weight of the frames would put to much weight on the brackets resulting in the lip that I used to hang them from to start to give out. They never did since I had multiple brackets per frame to even out the pressure any given bracket had on it. Worked very nice.
    Will you at some time might post a picture of the brackets?

Thanks in advance ;)

Post Thanks / Like

I used something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-6-in-12...l-Tie/50325309
    It was sturdy enough to hold the PVC and thin enough as to where I could bend it into a double J shape.
    Untitled.jpg
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    I've seen frames that just fit inside the window opening, held in place using spring/tension rods. It appeared to work well, with the added benefit that it didn't do any damage to the house.
    Ye, think I have to give this a try to see if some tension is enough, thanks! :D
    Last edited by thomzendk; 04-11-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I used something like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-6-in-12...l-Tie/50325309
    It was sturdy enough to hold the PVC and thin enough as to where I could bend it into a double J shape.
    Untitled.jpg
    ...But it seems like you cant use these without drilling something into the wall? :o

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    About 25 years ago I fashioned some PVC frames for our windows, and as a testament to durability, they're still working well. I've had to restring lights 4 times over the years but the current strings of LEDs are still going strong after 6 years. (They're from CDI, absolutely top-quality lights!). Here's some information about them....

https://www.diychristmas.org/wiki/in..._Window_Frames

While they may not match your vision of using pixels, as Al mentioned, strings of lights or pixels, or pixel strips can be attached to frames that are pressure-fit into the spaces for your windows and that can work very well. To protect bare PVC from UV sunlight, you'd want to paint them the same color as the brick -- or even white paint can protect the white PVC very well, too.

Glad to hear with the strings, 6 years is quite nice (especially think thing wont last this long in denmark, christmas light usually dies after 2-3 years) :D

Nah, you are right, im glaad to se the inspiration, but my house is brick walls, and really dont fancy having mounts/holes in the wall all year around, im not (yet) that eager to go all in ;)
    Last edited by thomzendk; 04-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomzendk View Post
    ...But it seems like you cant use these without drilling something into the wall? :o

Glad to hear with the strings, 6 years is quite nice (especially think thing wont last this long in denmark, christmas light usually dies after 2-3 years) :D

Nah, you are right, im glaad to se the inspiration, but my house is brick walls, and really dont fancy having mounts/holes in the wall all year around, im not (yet) that eager to go all in ;)
    Yes, mine just hang, no drilling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, mine just hang, no drilling.

I have a lip that is over the siding, guess you could call it a drip edge. I just hang it off if it.

(1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen frames that just fit inside the window opening, held in place using spring/tension rods. It appeared to work well, with the added benefit that it didn't do any damage to the house.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

About 25 years ago I fashioned some PVC frames for our windows, and as a testament to durability, they're still working well. I've had to restring lights 4 times over the years but the current strings of LEDs are still going strong after 6 years. (They're from CDI, absolutely top-quality lights!). Here's some information about them....

https://www.diychristmas.org/wiki/in..._Window_Frames

While they may not match your vision of using pixels, as Al mentioned, strings of lights or pixels, or pixel strips can be attached to frames that are pressure-fit into the spaces for your windows and that can work very well. To protect bare PVC from UV sunlight, you'd want to paint them the same color as the brick -- or even white paint can protect the white PVC very well, too.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast