Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holiday Lighting Stack Exchange

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Holiday Lighting Stack Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoup12 View Post
    So I created the Stack Exchange proposal primarily because it seems to be pretty difficult finding the answer you need for questions pertaining to DIYC and holiday lighting. I know the answers to most questions can generally be found on the popular forums, but it can be tricky to track down, especially if the forum with the question has multiple pages or "answers" with no clear direction on what you really need.
    If you can't find the answer to your question, you can always ask it again. The folks on here are always willing and able to answer a question, regardless of how many times it has been asked. Its when people don't TRY to find the answer to their question that some would question your DIY willingness and wonder why you just don't go and buy your solution.
    Why not ask your 5 questions here and see if they can get answered?
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    If you can't find the answer to your question, you can always ask it again. The folks on here are always willing and able to answer a question, regardless of how many times it has been asked. Its when people don't TRY to find the answer to their question that some would question your DIY willingness and wonder why you just don't go and buy your solution.
    Why not ask your 5 questions here and see if they can get answered?
    The questions I asked were just sample questions required to keep the proposal going. I was doing it more for the community than myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One big issue is our hobby changes from year to year. The "best" answers or ways to do things 2 years ago may not be the best way to do them today. New materials, lights, fabrication techniques, models, software, and any other aspect are always improving so the answers change. On top of that, many people need more specifics for their setup such as which controllers they are using, A/C lights or D/C power supplies, etc. I think the Stack Exchange might not do so well because of all this. There is always "Rudolphsearch.com" which searches all the major holiday forums at one time.

Post Thanks / Like

Stack exchange has been around for over a decade and was initially designed to answer questions for software developers. You'll find answers to questions for just about any development language, platform, database, etc. Development tools change constantly so yes, some answers are outdated or obsolete. In the course of getting the answer to a technical question, it's easy to sift through the result and determine if you're looking at an answer from 2008 or 2018. Stack exchange just makes it really easy to find answers to technical questions on a given subject.

answers.yahoo.com is a similar service but it's full of garbage that makes it hard to be useful.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand where you are going. Not sure about it, but I wasn't sure this pixel thing was going to last either.
    As far as finding something across a lot of the sites, check out https://rudolphsearch.com. It isn't quite what you had in mind, but it helps a bunch when looking for information across 10 or so different DIYC sites.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    I can understand where you are going. Not sure about it, but I wasn't sure this pixel thing was going to last either.
    As far as finding something across a lot of the sites, check out https://rudolphsearch.com. It isn't quite what you had in mind, but it helps a bunch when looking for information across 10 or so different DIYC sites.
    This link is the same as doing a google search with a list of site keywords -> "power injection site:doityourselfchristmas.com OR site:diychristmas.org"

Rather than trying to explain the benefits of Stack Exchange, I think wikipedia does a better job than I could.

Needless to say, I'd support a stack exchange and would answer questions. I think a lot of other people would eventually come along. The OP might try posting this on the other sites listed at Rudolph Search.

Post Thanks / Like

My major complaint about this site and other forum style sites is that it is very difficult to find the short quick answer to anything. I have suggested in past post that instead of just adding to the conversation about Quick-question-about-Renard, for example, that sub forums be started, people make new topics with informative titles, but in any case avoid packing everything into a 50+ page non-indexed topic where nothing can be quickly found. Google only gets me to the topic, not the individual post. Also, while side discussion is good, often informative, and somethings leads to nuggets of gold, it more often just make it more difficult to find what is being searched for. It can be more like a bunch of old timers sitting around the pickle barrel talking about the blizzard of "ought 4". I am guilty of this as well.

As far as "just ask the question again", repeat questions are often answered with "check the wiki" or "that has already been answered". And then those post degenerate into "why doesn't anybody do their due diligence and research the forum anymore?". Because its PITA to sift through 50 pages of BS to get a to a usable nugget.

I look at StackExchanges because I can usually get to the short concise answer very quickly. They are user curated in that other interested parties rank them. Unfortunately, I only look at SE's, I do not post answers. I may decide to start posting answers if I see a site worth supporting.

There are other user rated/curated sites but most are like Quora and Yahoo. They are answered by idiots. Finding a site with gravitas is difficult.

Whitesoup, I applaud your effort and I am somewhat ashamed of the less than supportive responses you got here.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I created the site too soon before sourcing the groups to see who would be interested. When the proposal is created, it has to have 5 questions and 5 followers within the first 3 days, otherwise it will be removed. If it can get past that initial time, then it will stay up as long as it's not inactive for more than 7 days. For those here who actually support the idea, how would you suggest getting people to actually contribute?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoup12 View Post
    Seems like I created the site too soon before sourcing the groups to see who would be interested. When the proposal is created, it has to have 5 questions and 5 followers within the first 3 days, otherwise it will be removed. If it can get past that initial time, then it will stay up as long as it's not inactive for more than 7 days. For those here who actually support the idea, how would you suggest getting people to actually contribute?
    Try posting on the other sites. Get 5 people together and we'll get it started. I'll be one of those people. I think others will find the utility of it after it has enough content.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12