Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron's Pi Matrix question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron's Pi Matrix question

Maybe I'm in the wrong place to post this but, I'm building my first Matrix. In testing a little over a year ago the Falcon player kept crashing when using Ron's matrix! FPP is still 1.8 the early version I loaded starting this project. I know I need to upgrade to 2.xx but this is a tune to sign 2 pannels and running stand alone on the FPP. It works great with my sequence but when It gets unplugged it crashed the FPP! Going back to try to get this project done Im wondering if upgrading FPP is going to fix this problem? I have seen where you select the type of hat now on the new version of FPP but Is there something else I may have done wrong?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ron's Pi Matrix question

Here is one possible explanation (not the only explanation by far):

Unplugging a string of lights while power is turned (on any controller) comes with some risks. You are creating power spikes that can damage the output drivers. Controllers like the F16 have isolated power management systems between the output channels and the control circuits. The FPP is getting its power from the hat. When you yank a plug, you glitch the power going to the PI as well. This can cause it to crash.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Here is one possible explanation (not the only explanation by far):

Unplugging a string of lights while power is turned (on any controller) comes with some risks. You are creating power spikes that can damage the output drivers. Controllers like the F16 have isolated power management systems between the output channels and the control circuits. The FPP is getting its power from the hat. When you yank a plug, you glitch the power going to the PI as well. This can cause it to crash.
    Makes a lot of since! So how would I shut it down being a stand alone sign not part of the show? Would I need to set it up as part of the show and as a remote?

Post Thanks / Like

The FPP web page has a shut down button at the bottom of the page. Shut it down. Disconnect the power and then disconnect the pixel string. I assume you are doing this at the end of the season. I leave my FPPs powered up 24x7 for ~2 months and have no issues with them (I also have a PI that has been running for 2 years without any issues controlling a Well Pump system).

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

The FPP web page has a shut down button at the bottom of the page. Shut it down. Disconnect the power and then disconnect the pixel string. I assume you are doing this at the end of the season. I leave my FPPs powered up 24x7 for ~2 months and have no issues with them (I also have a PI that has been running for 2 years without any issues controlling a Well Pump system).
    No it would be shut down nightly. But that maybe the route I would have to go though!

Post Thanks / Like

Shutting down nightly is not a problem as long as you are not just yanking the power off of the FPP. That is one of the ways you can get into a situation where your SD card goes into a permanent read only state (permanently write protected). While the PI is a resilient device, it has a few quirks, having power removed while it is writing a log entry is a killer. You always should "Shut Down" the PI before turning it off. There are many ways to do that. You can run (using 'crontab') a Linux script on the PI a few minutes before the power is scheduled to be turned off. Then the PI would be in a stable state prior to power removal. Here are some instructions from the Raspberry PI site:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...ic.php?t=59520

Post Thanks / Like

Shutting down nightly is not a problem as long as you are not just yanking the power off of the FPP. That is one of the ways you can get into a situation where your SD card goes into a permanent read only state (permanently write protected). While the PI is a resilient device, it has a few quirks, having power removed while it is writing a log entry is a killer. You always should "Shut Down" the PI before turning it off. There are many ways to do that. You can run (using 'crontab') a Linux script on the PI a few minutes before the power is scheduled to be turned off. Then the PI would be in a stable state prior to power removal. Here are some instructions from the Raspberry PI site:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...ic.php?t=59520
    Thank you for the link! Greatly appreciated! I will try that first instead of making it part of the show!

Post Thanks / Like

FPP 1.x is very prone to corrupting the SD card when power is yanked. Definitely move up to 2.x which is WAY WAY more resistant to corruption due to power failure.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

In my sequence list, after my show was over, I ran a one-time sequence that performed a shut down on my remote and then a one-time sequence that shut down my master FPP. 10 mins later my timer would remove power from the entire system. I did this every day and had zero issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    In my sequence list, after my show was over, I ran a one-time sequence that performed a shut down on my remote and then a one-time sequence that shut down my master FPP. 10 mins later my timer would remove power from the entire system. I did this every day and had zero issues.
    Are you using FPP 1.8 or 1.9? My show has run fine on 1.8 on the Master do I really need to switch? I will be in the process of converting to 2.xx for my master if needed and I assume if I make my matrix a remote, I will have to convert that also to be the same. I do think your set up with a remote and shut down sequences is my best choice and that this will be the best route for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast