Thread: CCTV Video Cable for Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default CCTV Video Cable for Pixels

I have some RG6 video cable that can be used outside. It's the type of cable that has 16AWG +/- for powering the camera, and a coaxial cable for the video feed. It's meant to be run from a camera junction box which provides power (12-24V transformer on a power distro board) and is usually next to the DVR or camera recording device to feed all the video signals. I'd use the +/- for V+/V-, but I'm wondering how well the coax core can carry the pixel data signal. I don't see why it couldn't carry the signal - it's just a solid (or sometimes stranded) copper core. I don't know if coax has a different resistance to carry a video signal instead of electrical. Here is a picture similar to what I have:

CCTV RG59.png

I will be doing some testing, but just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who may have tried this before.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CCTV Video Cable for Pixels

That coax looks very well shielded, which sounds like that would be ideal for carrying a data signal, right?

I know some people say you can't or shouldn't run 3-core *twisted* wire because the wires carrying the voltage/current would induce electromagnetic fields into the wire carrying the data and therefore can degrade that signal -- I have read and heard people say you should run 3-core flat wires to reduce or eliminate this concern.

Personally, I'd say if you've got some cable available, test it out. Can't hurt, and then you'd know how well it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    That coax looks very well shielded, which sounds like that would be ideal for carrying a data signal, right?

I know some people say you can't or shouldn't run 3-core *twisted* wire because the wires carrying the voltage/current would induce electromagnetic fields into the wire carrying the data and therefore can degrade that signal -- I have read and heard people say you should run 3-core flat wires to reduce or eliminate this concern.

Personally, I'd say if you've got some cable available, test it out. Can't hurt, and then you'd know how well it works.
    A COAX cable, by its very nature, will shield you from the issues with the power going through the V+ and V- wires.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search on the DIYC sites. Especially the Aussie site. There have been threads about doing just this. From what I remember, it works rather well.
    Just remember that some wiring requires more than 1 pair of data lines. (Remote senders and receivers from Falcon boards comes to mind at this time, but there may be others.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Do a search on the DIYC sites. Especially the Aussie site. There have been threads about doing just this. From what I remember, it works rather well.
    Just remember that some wiring requires more than 1 pair of data lines. (Remote senders and receivers from Falcon boards comes to mind at this time, but there may be others.)
    Thanks for all the replies. This will be for my landscape lighting conversion and need a good 3 core outdoor wire. The existing low voltage wiring is only 2 core with vampire plugs. I'm stripping the aluminum casing's existing wires and LED and replacing it with 6 pixels, a 12" 6 core cable (V+/D/V- in/V+/D/V- out), and delphi male/female connectors on each light. I think the only trouble I may have is putting a delphi connector on the coax core - may have to liquid tape the core from the crimp point down to the insulation.