Thread: Pixel Lumens Output

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel Lumens Output

I am searching around to find out how much light in lumens a pixel outputs. Specifically a round or square pixel that we use on most of our setups, but also strips, pixel modules, etc. I came across pcboard.ca post about 2801 bullet pixels and it states:

"Brightness of the display for each color is approximately Red = 3.3 Lumens/300 mcd, Green = 10 Lumens/1000 mcd, Blue = 2.7 Lumens/300 mcd (mcd calculation based on full 120 degree beam) for a total of approximately 1600mcd"

So if I turn on full white, should I add all 3 together to get 16 lumens for 1 pixel? I'm asking because I want to modify my landscape lighting (or create a similar device) to use the controller and pixels and match at least the brightness of 100 lumens the lights currently output (200 lumens for the small spotlights). I have permanent house trim lights up all year, and the existing landscape lights look out of place/color. I'd also like to use them during the show over the holidays. The 16 lumens number would mean I would need to bundle 6 pixels in a light. Before I play around with this, does anyone have any suggestions, experience, tips, or tricks on how to best accomplish this?

Edit: On a side note, I was looking at RBL's kickstarter site (of course the reallybiglights site doesn't exist anymore). Their specs say the LED bulb inside the RBL's is only 14 lumens. I wonder if they meant to say 14 watts, or really that 1 pixel at 16 lumens could light up a 14" x 6" RBL on it's own.
    Last edited by AJR214; 03-14-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel Lumens Output

Do a Google search for "measuring lumens".

On stage the light crew uses a meter that tells them how much light is hitting a specific spot (where they are measuring). I mess with them by changing the color temperature of the fixtures. I say this to add to the mix that apparently the color temperature does indeed affect the measurement - according to our lighting director.
    Live, Laugh, Love.